Thinking about upgrading. Thoughts???

Greetings fellow quilters.  

I currently have an Ultimate I with Intellistitch and Intelliquilter on it.  It's been a great machine for many years, but I'm getting close to retirement (yea!) and am thinking about treating myself to the Millie 30.  ...but I have a few questions and would love to get your thoughts. 

1.  Has anybody upgraded from a 26" machine to the 30" machine?  Did you find it worth the extra money?  Does the extra 4" make a big difference for you?  

2.  If I sell my Ult I, should I sell it with or without the IS/Turbo and IQ?  Obviously the IS/Turbo will stay with the machine, but I'm wondering if I should sell it with the IQ and then just buy another IQ when I get my new system or just have my current IQ transferred to the new machine.    

3.  How much would an Ult I sell for with or without the IQ?  

Any other thoughts you care to share will be terrific.  Thanks!  

Hi Lora,

are you going to be quilting for just yourself...or are you planning on quilting for others for profit?  My understanding that the Millie 30 is great for doing computerized  edge to edge.....but unless you have really long arms....some of the that huge space would must likely not be used when you are doing custom or free motion.....on my 26 inch Lucey, I sometimes don't even advance all the way as I find that furthest 4-5 inches a stretch to reach if doing ruler work or finer quilting.....If you can....I would try out the 30 and see if you like it before jumping to that one......Lin

What advantage would you have by buying a new machine?  If you're going to be able to the same type of quilting, why bother?  Then again, if you really want it, get it.  It's a retirement gift to yourself.  You deserve it!

I've been thinking about getting a new Millie 30 for over a year.  I just turned 65 and still working.  I think I'm stuck on spending that much money at my age, but then you can't take it with you either.  I have a 2009 Millie with a 10ft table.  I can manage a quilt up to 100in with the table I have however,  I moved 3 years ago and now have room for a larger table.  I do love doing custom work with my IQ and enjoy working with other quilters.  There is a quilt finishing brick and mortar shop about a block from me but she only does edge to edge and sells widebacks, batting and flannel.  The owner said she could send me customers.  I really don't think I could make much profit because of the town's economy.  Dang, went off topic, sorry.  I just took an IQ refresher and discussed a 30in machine with the instructor.  She has a different brand but she's not a fan of the 30in.  She says it's great for edge to edge but not custom friendly due to her height.   She is my height, somewhere around 5ft.   She says it takes everything she has to reach to the back of her sewing area.  I would say think about what type of service you want to provide and your height.   Shirley, (IQ dealer/instructor) recommended that I keep my IQ tablet and motors and just get new motor brackets for the Bliss table.  APQS can give you the "blue book" price for you Ultimate one.

I see a lot of quilter's advertising their machines with or without the IQ.   I think you would get the best response giving the customer the option.  However, you will probably want an IQ or Quilt Path on the new machine so consider the cost before giving up your present IQ.

New machine or not?  A lot to ponder?

Lora:  Unless you have a lot of edge to edge business, I think it would be a mistake to "up-grade".  How many quilts will it take to cover the $15000 plus cost of the new machine?  If you have a lot of edge to edge business maybe you should be looking for another Ult 1 with Intelliquilter so you can run two machines at the same time.  My guess is that you don't.

If you decide to get the larger machine, transfer the Intelliquilter from your Ult 1 to the 30 inch machine if possible (I don't know whether the throat dimension limits instillation or not)  You won't be able to get as much for you used Intelliquilter, as you will spend on a new replacement.

Now all these thoughts are given assuming that you are happy with your Ult 1 set up.  If you're dissatisfied with what you now have, the advise might not be best.  Jim 

Thanks for the input.  You have all expressed things I have been batting around for some time now. 

Q - will I ever do enough customer work to pay for the new machine and the new IQ (if I end up getting a new IQ)?

A - definitely not.

Q - will the new Millie30 be thaaaaaaaat much better than the Ult I with IQ that I have now?

A -- probably not.

Q - would I get enough enjoyment out of the new machine to make it worthwhile?

A -- I think so.  I think the pride of owning the latest and greatest machine, the lifetime warranty, the bliss system, and some of the other features would be nice and that I would be pleased with them. 

Q - will I be able to do that much more with a 30" machine than I can with my 26" machine.

A - I think so.  There have been several times when either a quilt of my own or a customer quilt required rolling up and back several times during a pass to get the whole area completed because size of the block was too large for the throat space I have.  Not sure if 4" would make a huge difference, but on those occasions when I needed it, I think it would have really come in handy.  I know this wouldn't be the case for 90% of the quilts that I do.

Okay - and here's the truly stupid reason that I am seriously considering upgrading.  My mother passed away two years ago and she had been encouraging me to get the new machine as a treat for myself.  I never did it while she was alive and regret that because I think she would have had fun with it.  My sister was in charge of getting the house cleaned up and sold.  I thought that when the house sold I would use some of my portion to get the new machine -- kind of a thank you and tribute to mom.  HOWEVER, my sister kept all of the money for herself.  She stole my inheritance!  There is a lot that I could go into here, but I won't (trust me it isn't pretty).  Anywhoo, I determined that since I can afford it anyway, I'm still going to get the new machine (of course tomorrow my resolution may be back to waffling). 

Last question ---- L or M bobbins?  I'm kind of leaning toward M bobbins just so that I don't have to change them that often.  Has anyone had problems with the M bobbins?

Thanks again.  Keep the input coming. :)

Hi Lora,

ummm….I would say go for a new Millie!  Now.....I would really think about just a regular 26 inch Millie or the 30 inch.....What size is your current machine?....a 12 foot table is wonderful for me....my old midarm was on a 10 foot...and yep...that was limiting....I have yet to do a quilt on my 12 foot one where I needed more width...it is wonderful....I am 5' 4 "....and a 30 inch neck would be a waste for me....I have enough of a stretch reaching the full space of my 26 inch....again....if you can....try both the 30 inch and 26 inch before deciding......Lin

On 5/29/2018 at 5:55 AM, Gator said:

I've been thinking about getting a new Millie 30 for over a year.  I just turned 65 and still working.  I think I'm stuck on spending that much money at my age, but then you can't take it with you either.  I have a 2009 Millie with a 10ft table.  I can manage a quilt up to 100in with the table I have however,  I moved 3 years ago and now have room for a larger table.  I do love doing custom work with my IQ and enjoy working with other quilters.  There is a quilt finishing brick and mortar shop about a block from me but she only does edge to edge and sells widebacks, batting and flannel.  The owner said she could send me customers.  I really don't think I could make much profit because of the town's economy.  Dang, went off topic, sorry.  I just took an IQ refresher and discussed a 30in machine with the instructor.  She has a different brand but she's not a fan of the 30in.  She says it's great for edge to edge but not custom friendly due to her height.   She is my height, somewhere around 5ft.   She says it takes everything she has to reach to the back of her sewing area.  I would say think about what type of service you want to provide and your height.   Shirley, (IQ dealer/instructor) recommended that I keep my IQ tablet and motors and just get new motor brackets for the Bliss table.  APQS can give you the "blue book" price for you Ultimate one.

I see a lot of quilter's advertising their machines with or without the IQ.   I think you would get the best response giving the customer the option.  However, you will probably want an IQ or Quilt Path on the new machine so consider the cost before giving up your present IQ.

New machine or not?  A lot to ponder?

I say, if you want it and can afford it, go for it!  This is something that would give you pleasure and you deserve it, whether you are going to quilt for others or not.  As far as whether or not to sell the IQ with it and get a new one, I think I would just transfer the IQ you have if you have the version you want and the newer motors.  Just about any of our husband's toys these days can cost up to 80,000 whether its a boat or a camper or a pickup and they deserve to enjoy too.  What have we all worked for!

Archived