HELP! SR Trouble

Help! I have a new Lenni(1 week old today) and am having trouble with the stitch regulator. It sews fine vertically but the needle will not engage when I try to go horizonally. In other words, no sewing at all. From reading past threads it could be the encoder but I can't tell. And if it is the encoder, what do I do? Can anyone help me? PLEEEEEASE! Thanks in advance.

I had same problem when my milli came. Check the wires like already suggested then also look at the rubber wheel that comes in contact with the wheel on the carriage. Make sure those are making contact, you should not be able to roll the encoder wheel when the machine is not moving. If you can, you can adjust it to be tighter against the carriage wheel. If that is not the problem, you will need to call APQS and they will help you...

Vicki

I've heard this about the encoder wheel touching the carriage wheel. I don't think mine touch at all and I don't see how they can unless the encoder is facing the worng way. The manual says it should face to the inside of the carriage which is away from the carriage wheel, isn't it?. I'm easily confused with directions for things unfamiliar. Sorry. I looked in the manual and it does not look like they touch. I wish I could take a picture but don't know how to load one here yet.

Janice and Vicki

Check the stitch regulator section (page 137 in my manual). Don't worry, the encoder wheel on the Lenni does not touch the carriage wheel. The Milli has horizontal wheels and sounds like there is a different arrangement.

If you can't resolve your problem, contact APQS who will be able to pinpoint the problem.

Regards, Judy

Thanks Judy. I have taken the machine off and looked closely at the encoder. It looks like the blue wire is not connected. I haven't heard from APQS yet, they are not taking calls today, but I would think I need a new encoder. Don't know for sure, but this does not appear to be a wire that can be plugged in. Thanks Jeanne and Vicki for your prompt response.

Hi Janice,

Is the rubber wheel riding along the top of the rail underneath your carriage? That is what makes your stitch regulator work. There are only a few wires that plug into the encoder even though the connector looks like it has a bunch going through it. I think there are only 2 wires that actually are connected. When you started using your machine a week ago, did the stitch regulator work then?

Also, make sure the plug on the back end of the machine is still connected, (behind the cone holder on the right hand side when standing at the back of the machine). There are 2 connectors that get connected there, the handle connector and the carriage encoder connector. Check to see if they are in correctly.

Nadia,

Even though I have had it for a week, I just started sewing yesterday and it sewed fine except for some tension issues which were corrected with a thread change this morning.

I just received a return call from APQS and the tiny blue wire which is one of the two that you mentioned is the culprit and they are sending me a new wire. So I'll have to wait a few more days to continue my PPP. And I was getting so excited seeing Lenni in action too.:(

Janice,

Glad to hear the problem has been found! Yes, seeing Lenni in action is pretty cool, just think, you now have a few days to whip up a few more practice tops! Or, you can use the next few days practicing following your pantographs with the laser light turned on (and no stitching) so you can be ready to try pantos when your new wire arrives! You can still PPP with your machine!

Nadia,

I was thinking along those same lines myself. I can still use manual mode! So we will be bonding after all. As for pieces to practice on, my mother was a quilter and everytime I went home she had to make sure I either got quilt pieces to make a top or tops she had made (and not always the best, some pieced by hand and fabric not always cut on grain) to take home. So I'm set there. I've been reading about some of the tops quilters get to quilt and they talk about not being square, different fabrics mixed together, hills and valleys etc. My mother didn't care about all of that, she just enjoyed making quilts:) She used to tell me I was too particular. Reading here on this forum and looking at the quality of work being done here, I don't think so. I need a lot of practice!

Janice, just don't get discouraged, once your Lenni is up and running right. It's a sweet machine, until I want to pitch mine out the window, like today.. but considerably more fun than not most of the time.

Just enjoy, use the tops your Mom made and donate them some where? Maybe the homeless shelter, an orphanage, or Family Crisis centers, etc? Theyd be well quilted, give you a lot of pracitce, and help someone else too. Even pass a few back to your Mum, tell her she needs one for each season, or each month of the year. :P:P:P

En joy, RitaR

Archived