PANTOGRAPHS TOO HARD

Hello to everybody, happy new year! I'm not a big believer of in resolutions but I am trying to challenge myself more this year. A few years ago I purchased a used UltimateII and only just got it set up and working in the summer of 2005. I have been trying to work up the courage and ability to use a pantograph. I keep thinking this should be easy but I guess I have controll issues about thread running out, where the needle is going and did the thread break again because I don't have the tension right.

Can any one please give me some tips to doing pentographs or suggestions about more free form designs like Karen McTavish?

Thanks,

Beth

Guest Linda S

Hi Beth. I imagine a pantograph would be a bit harder on a non-stitch-regulated machine. I admit that I use my stitch regulator all the time when doing pantos. Here is what I do, it may be helpful. I stand to the left of the machine (at the back, of course) and drive the machine with my right hand on the left handle. I put my left hand on the take-up roller, to sort of steady myself and give myself the ability to sort of push/pull with the machine. While I am quilting, I can see out of the corner of my right eye, the thread spinning off the cone. If that motion stops, I know my thread has broken. I stop the machine and see what's up. As far as thread tension goes, I cheat a bit and use a Towa bobbin tension gauge. I generally run that at about 18 for bottom line thread, a bit tighter (20-22) for thicker threads. There is a post from Judy L here somewhere that tells you about the top tension and how to tell how it feels right. Let me see if I can find it for you. Nope, can't find it but it was just a few days ago. Let's see if I can paraphrase. Thread your machine and pull up your bobbin thread making sure your top thread is now under the hopping foot. Pull the top thread towards the back of the machine. It should not be so loose that it just comes easily, but should have some tension on it. It shouldn't feel too tight either. Sew on a scrap quilt sandwich. Adjust your tension to get it right -- check out Superior Thread's webpage with the education section to see how to get it right.

As far as McTavishing or other freehand, check out "Mastering the Art of McTavishing" by Karen McTavish. Not only does she explain it, there's a DVD that comes with it so she shows you how. Also, Nichole Webb has some freehand DVDs out that are great.

Best of luck to you.

Linda

Beth,

Also please get in touch with Darlene Epp. She has a great CD "Perfecting the Pantograph". www.longarmtraining.com is the sight or e-mail is depp@allstream.net or Trillium House 604-850-5066. Any of these should get you a great way of starting and getting over the panto-itus you may have.

Just have fun and relax! :P

Teresa

When I got my Freedom machine last Spring, I tried one of the pantos that came with it. After about 20 minutes, I decided "this isn't for me" give me freehand any day. Well, I had a quilt that just screamed for an Autumn leaf pattern... maple, oak, etc. So after spending 3 days trying to draw a maple leaf, I stumbled across the PERFECT design... in a panto. I decided to give it a try... I started by tracing the design with just the laser light, just to get the feeling of the design then, I turned on the machine with no thread. By the time I was up to the third pass, I was pretty comfortable with the design. I'm no Panto Princess, but people seem to like the option of something quick & simple (read inexpensive)

ps, I don't have the stich regulator and no, the stitches are not all EXACTLY the same size, but you have to look harder each time to find the big/little stitches. Remember practice, practice practice

Leslie

I use pantographs all the time....I am probably doing them all wrong...From the back of the machine I start on the right side of the quilt, hold the left handle with my right hand, put my left hand on the roller to steady myself, and work toward my left. I'm sure this is wrong. I have never had a hands on class. Yesterday someone listed tools needed to start quilting and classes was one, boy do I agree. I am waiting for them to go on sale ;) After purchasing the machine, and all of the toys to quilt, and my new business (been in business for a year and a half), is very slow, so I cannot afford classes. I know it is a catch 22, can't afford them, can't afford not to take them. Anyway, if you can take classes, take them, especially one-on-one type classes. I think pantographs can be fun to use if you do them correctly, and if you pick the easy ones to start with - nothing interlocking or with a lot of density. It is freehand that makes my hands sweat!!:P

Good luck,

Mary Beth

Before starting on your quilt, check the thread tension on the edge where it will be trimmed later to make sure the tension is right. Depending on the density of the panto your using you'll need to check your bobbin thread every two or three passes to make sure there is enough to continue another row. If your not sure about tension after changing the bobbin recheck it in the "margin" before continuing the next row. I usually run a basting seam down the sides of the quilt when I roll a fresh frame. Its a good time to double check your tension.

Try using a light touch on both handles -- don't "grip" and wear out your hands and arms. . try not to balance yourself on the table. It will give you more control for forward and side movements to make smoother curves. Positioning your laser a little forward on the pattern from where your standing will help give you more work area to stand. . . try to avoid crowding yourself so your on top of the pattern looking directly down. Without a regulator I find where the pattern repeats and count seconds -- it helps with making sure my stitch length is consistent. If it takes me 10 seconds to stitch one repeat -- the second repeat should take 10 seconds. Try humming to get the rhythm. . . it will also get you to relax a bit while you work and keep your breathing even. (When you hold your breath your muscles will fatigue, your arms and hands will shake -- stitches are affected.)

Pantos are a good way to get the feel for smooth turns and curves -- keep practicing smooth stitching will come!

I hated Pantos too, I have a few I do well, but I am more a freehand gal. But if someone wants a quilt done as inexpensively as possible, I dig them out.

But try this. My first instructor did pantos this way and a light went on. I stand with the light in front of me and the lest handle in my right hand. Then with my lest hand I brace my self on the take-up roller. I thought it would be something that could only be done with S/R, but she claimed no, she learned to do it that way without it. It really saves my neck, and I can see much better where I am going.

A couple of things I was taught was #1 Relax #2. Move your feet at a junction or point #3. For repeat rows, Place light on a spot on panto that is dotted at the ending line, that corresponds to the image where you started, by putting your needle down on that spot you can advance your quilt and the laser light will advance and you can stop it on the matching part of the image where you will begin your next row. (Of course, This applies only if the panto has the dotted images). This is hard to explain - So suppose you have maple leaves, You do 2 rows and the beginning of the third row is dotted maple leaves, You would stop the laser on the dotted leave, needle down, advance quilt so laser stops on solid line identical to dotted line and that is where you begin next row. Hope that makes it clearer.:P

Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm going to try again. I think it's just I thought it would be easier than free hand and I'm frustrated with the apprehension of actually doing it.

I've still got to get used to the tension on that machine as it seems to change every time the wind blows.

Have a happy new year all of you and thank you so much for the wonderful help!!!

Beth

I never did pantos either, but I get most of my customers from the LQS and a lot of first time quilters and they don't want to spend a lot of money. I stand to the left and use both hands on the left handle and the trick to getting a smooth line is to besure and focus your eye about 2-3 inches in front of the laser light and will be amazing at how much better your quilting becomes instantly. Also try to avoid pantos that have lines close together and have long sweeping lines as these are harder to follow when you are first adjusting to pantos, it gets easier. So pantos with shorter pattern lines and without the lines close together, my favorite panto that looks great :D is Oriental Illusions and you can get from Darlene Epp, this one is easy.

Hester:cool:

Hi Everyone,

The CD is not on my website. I had hoped to have more information added to it on different subjects, but that hasn't happened yet. I still have the original CD available for $20. It has "Beginning Longarm" and "Perfecting the Pantograph" on it.

The CD has a good index, so you don't need to watch the whole thing to get to the subject you want. If you forget how to "Set the Laser", just click on Index, and then on that subject to go right to the area you need information on.

Please note: This is NOT a DVD that you can play on your TV. It is a CD, meant for your computer. It is interactive, in that YOU decide which parts to view, and can go back, forward or to the Index at any time. There are good close-up shots so you can study them, without having to rewind a video to try to figure out what's going on.

If you want the CD, just send an e-mail and I"ll get one out to you as soon as I return from holidays. Mailing will be on Jan. 11th. Make sure you send your mailing address when ordering. There is an Order Form on my web site. If you can't get it to "copy", just send an e-mail with the same information.

Patterns are under Products/Patterns and then "By Designer", "Beginner Pack" and several other categories.

Hester, we are in Anaheim and won't get out to Palm Springs this time. We're both catching up on a lot of lost sleep, in between trips to Disneyland. If you want to travel this way, I'd love to visit with you, but I know it's a 2 hour drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived