Website construction

How did you choose FrontPage? I'm thinking of a website, but I'm using a blog in the meantime. Are you going to sell services and such and what type of checkout/cart system will you use? Does FrontPage do all that?

I have a thousand questions. There is the domain name to buy, and a web host--I don't even know where to begin. I'll just keep reading your thread and see what others share. Thanks for starting this thread.

I had Danemco build my website...way too involved for me to do. Dan and his staff at Danemco did everything for me...check out their site... www.danemco.com it was well worth the money to have them do it...I'd still be working on it if I tackled that job.

Have a look at my site... www.nadiawilsondesigns.com I think they did a great job!

Danemco did my site too. I've used Front Page since 2000, but it doesn't support a shopping cart, and most servers no longer support the Front Page extensions. I can still upload changes to the website via ftp, but the need for a shopping cart made the decision to start a new site an easy one. After a VERY bad experience with another web developer who hijacked my site and basically held it for "ransom", I went with Danemco, based on what I saw them doing with sites like Superior Threads and many others.

I don't think I could have made a better choice. Dan Purcell is very responsive, and also receptive to new ideas, which in many cases were implemented quickly. I liked that I could put my own stamp on the site so that it reflects my own wants and needs.

http://www.TrilliumHouseDesigns.com

A HUGE bonus is that Dan can also set you up with a merchant account. One stop shopping at it's best!

The only reason I chose FrontPage was because there was a website class available nearby and it used FrontPage. I would have gone with whatever they chose because I knew nothing! As I understand it, FrontPage is a good way to begin. Then with a basic understanding of FP, one moves onto Dreamweaver which is more complicated with more bells and whistles.

My website is basically just to show off my customer quilts, my quilts, and my other hobbies, and hopefully to attract local customers.

I will not be selling anything, so I will not be needing a Shopping Cart or interactive stuff. I looked in the index of the advanced text, and "shopping cart" is not listed, so it looks like they don't have one.

GoDaddy accepts FrontPage extensions, at least they did a year ago when I reserved my domain name. Perhaps I'd better check again. My teacher recommended GoDaddy because they were proven, established, and stable. She said you can always find cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

One of the women in my class took the class because it got so expensive every time she needed her person to make changes to her website.

Computers thrill me! Right up there with quilting.

I'm really fascinated with this part of the world too. I love shopping and visiting the quilters' websites. I spend way too much time at it, but it's part of my business to know what is on the market and pass it on to my clients.

Thank you Darlene for your information. Things change so fast, and there are so many options out there. It's nice to have a personal recommendation to start with.

Good luck AnnHenry with yours. If you're not selling, it sounds like a good deal.

Danemco is in the process of doing mine too!!! Their prices are great especially after over 8 months of trying to do it myself with GoDaddy. Their website tonite is not as user friendly as they'd like you to think. Also no toll free help. I gave it a try several times and came to a screeching halt everytime!!! Now Brdgette give me a call with questions, I decide and they do the work!!!! Can't wait for it to go live!!!

I'm on my 2nd web-site using Frontpage and have had the current one up for over 3 years. I'm using Pow Web to host my site. You can use the Paypal shopping carts with Frontpage.

I make changes too often to have to depend on someone else to make the changes. I like being able to log in and do what I need to do when I need to do it.

Good luck with your web-site and I'm sure you will find Frontpage easy to use.

Judy in MO

Archived