hello everyone question about new machine

miss jacque

Hi everyone I have been reading for awhile and decided to ask for help. I have used an older Ken quilt for 5 years (very small throat) i recently purchased a discovery. and find that I am having a terrible time getting my pantos to look like well, like they are not being done by a 2 year old. This is not something new to me, but this machine feels squirley, if eel like it want to go where it wants to and not where I am guiding it. APQS assures me it is normal and I will adjust, Frome the front od the machine I have no problem with meandering, I am getting better at feathers but it still feels weird, is this normal to all of you or do you think it is something with the machine? Thanks Jacque

Jacque,

There is an adjustment period. You will get to know your machine and know what makes her tick. It does take practice when quilting curved lines or circles so that they doen't square off. However, it should not be a strain. Check everything to make sure it is level. Everything on the table, every direction. The make sure your wheels are adjusted properly. Is your machine new or used? If you have a manual, go through it from head to toe making sure it is set up correctly. Did someone set it up for you and go through how to use the machine? Check with your dealer and see if they can help you. APQS dealers usually work with their people. They won't leave your hanging. Where are you located? Maybe someone reading this is close to you and would be willing to help.

Thanks MaryBeth for the reply. It was slightly used, My husband set it up and we did get the manual. We made sure everything was level all directions and the wheels are centered on the table and the carriage. It came with the 2 piece Lenni table. I was reading some on the lenni section and some with the 2 piece table think it is not as smooth. I am wondering if that may be the problem. As i said I am not new to this and done very well with the old machine, but this one seams to act like it gets hung up or is jerky. I have tried to watch to see if it is in the same area or direction but can't tell for sure. If I am in front I am not having problems with curves, I can do straight lines both horizontal and vertical, the problem is when I am in the back trying to follow a panto.

I had been trying to contact APQS but most were at Houston so will try again tomorrow. I feel silly because I know most people have a break in period...I thought I had done that with the Ol Ken Quilt Jacque

The other thing to check is to make sure that the rails are exactly the same distance apart all the way down the table. I had one that was off less than 1/8" and it created all kinds of problems. Amy had my check the distance between the rails. When I found that one was off, I loosened, turned the cylinder, to a point where the rails would now all be the same, and it made a world of difference. So.........level is important but so is the distance between the rails.

Hi Jacque

I replied on your other post.

Meg is correct about the table being level and you will need a spirit level and maybe a metal straight edge to check that the table is level and not twisted. As for the rails, you won't be able to adjust them - basically the plastic strip sits in a pre-drilled groove. However, it might be useful to check that the distance is equal.

Judy

Well I talked a customer/friend into bringing me some quilts to practice on (She is a beautiful lady and great friend) Any way I think I figured out the problem... I think I am just tooooo tense. I think I am doing better although the machine still seems a little jerky. For the two piece Lenni table is it common for the machine to tip a little when pulled toward the take-up rail? It comes off the carriage a little if any pressure is put o the handles. BTW in case i forgot to say thanks THANKS for the support. jacque

Hi Jacque,

I think you may have figured this out by yourself. Your old Ken quilt weighed a lot more than the Discovery and you're used to using some muscle to move it. Try relaxing your shoulders, hands and arms. You really can move the machine with just a finger! Put on some music with a regular beat and just relax and enjoy.

And remember; those lines on the pantograph don't usually need to be followed exactly. As long as you have nice smooth shapes, and are just quilting each section point to point, you'll do much better. The key word is RELAX! ;)

Too tense is definitely bad!!!! Breath and remember to keep very light pressure on the handles. With a practice piece loaded, spend some time stitching using only one hand as well as just your thumb on index finger - try making all kinds of shapes. You will find that you can do some of your quilting with one hand without any problems. This will give you an idea at how easily the head moves and it will also let you know that you can do the shapes. Don't know about the table issue - I have a Millie - different table. Enjoy and keep up the PPP:D

My Lenni definately had a looseygoosey wheel situation, then himself adjust them and got them too tight.

My two pieced Lenni table has the upright wheels and nylon rails, and the two things it took a while to figure out was the rails can be in the slot but not level.. we used a 2 by 2 to lay on top and tapped all along it to get them even.. used a light on one side and peeked under the 2X2 for any light coming thru indicating an unlevel spot. After we got that all squared away, we used fine sand paper to sand them off smooth.. that helped a whole lot too.

The last trick I found is a hospital type tooth brush, or a very young childs tooth brush so its not too stiff.. and I hold the bristles lightly agains the groove in the wheels and move the machine a couple feet along the track, to really clean them good. Yóu will be surprised how much fine stuff you can't see, will come off them the first time. Now I do it anytime I think I feel a new glitch or after a couple small quilts.

Also on wheels if they are verticle, make sure the very center of the wheels are riding on the track, not to one side or the other. It really makes a bit difference.

Should we be concerned with the black in the wheel grooves, on the brown wheels? If so what can we use to clean them? I'd not thought of it before.

Hope something helps.

RitaR

Hi again, I have pretty much done everything that all of you have suggested. I put on a panto and I have no problem fooling the lines, it is just that the machine hits a spot and jerks away from the line. I know it takes a lot of practice, after doing a small business doing LA quilting custom quilts and teaching for 5 years, I thought I had plenty of practice. I really think it is the table and not me, but for the sake of sanity which is sometimes scarce here I will keep on PPP and more PPP thanks again jacque

Archived