quilting sampler

I have heard and seen numerous people here talk about making up a sampler of stitches and patterns. How did you, or would you, decide what to put in it, and how would you design it? Are there any pictures or guidelines that anyone can suggest> I've had my Millie for almost a year and have been taking customers, but I don't have quilted examples, other than my own quilts, to show them. All help would be gladly accepted.

Cathy

Guest Linda S

Hi Cathy, the type of sampler you do should be based on the type of quilting you want to do, or what you want to show off. Here is a link to the wholecloth sampler I did in December: http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=1765

Another idea for showing background fillers, sashings, and borders would be to make some fairly sime blocks using raw edge applique, and sew them together with sashing and borders. Then do different background fills around the applique, different stitching in the sections of sashing, and different types of borders. You could have them numbered, and your clients could tell you what they want by the number associated with that stitch.

Good luck to you.

Linda

Linda, that looks fabulous, and definitely worth showing off. Did you trapunto those feathers? I think the idea of applique, with alternate plain squares, separated with sashings just might work. Hmmmmm. Might be time to play with EQ5 for some layout ideas. Any other ideas from anyone else would be fun.

Cathy

Guest Linda S

Hi Cathy - it's actually faux trapunto. I used warm and white on the bottom and Hobb's 80/20 on the top. Gives you enough loft that if you mash the background down with tiny stitching, the feathers pop up. I've had EQ5 for ages and have just started to learn to use it thought Quilt University. My second lesson comes up tomorrow!

Linda

Hi Cathy--

For a great "portable" sampler, load a length of fabric and mark 12" or 15" squares. Do your lovely background fillers or gorgeous block designs--one per square. When you are finished, cut apart with pinking shears (no raveling of edges) and fasten your blocks together with a huge safety pin or a shower curtain hook.

This way if you aren't happy with a design you can redo it and throw the bad one away! This goes with you if you do a pick-up at a customer's home or you can take it to Guild. It's also easy to add to it as you improve your skills. For a stippling sample, you can put three densities of stippling on one square (you don't need to bore yourself to death!!)

I made a similar sampler for different batting types and also for different thread weights. I don't do a lot of pick-ups but customers like to see and feel the different options!

Happy stitching everyone!!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

Haven't floated away yet!!

Guest Linda S

Wow Birgit, how did I miss that gorgeous sampler when you first posted it? Ah - I see, I was away in Florida, without a computer at the time. That is just beautiful, and you did that fairly soon after getting your machine. Very nice.

Linda

If you have the Pocket Guides to Freehanding, there is a sheet of instructions that comes with the set of books, telling how to make a simple sampler of the stitches in the books. I did 3 of them up; 1 for the Meanderings, 1 for the Textures & Fillers, and 1 for the Borders & Sashings. You can accomplish 3 different things with these samplers.

1. Show off your stitches (of course!)

2. Use 3 different battings (I used Hobb's 80/20 blend, Organic Cotton and Bleached Cotton) to show the different effects after washing. It's best to use the 80/20 on the Textures & Fillers sampler because after washing, the cotton shrinks slightly and the 20% poly puffs up to accentuate the texture.

Your customer will also be able to see the different effect of each batting on the white muslin. One is pure white, one is soft white, and the organic cotton looks almost antique.

3. Use different threads if you wish. This can showcase the metallic or variegated threads, which look VERY different on the cone than they do when stitched. I actually did a separate Meanders sampler with just the variegated and metallic threads.

http://www.longarmsupplies.com/PocketGuides.htm

Archived