Wild Women Quilters on Tour

Sue Patten

SUE

When I look at the quilts on your site the thread looks very heavy. Is it something like razzle dazzle? Or is it just a whole lot of smaller threads close together. We did a thread painting class this weekend with Ellen Anne Eddy and used Razzle Dazzle in the bobbin. It made me wonder how you accomplish the same look on a long arm. Just wondering, you know inquiring minds!!! Thanks Jeanne

Hay Jeanne

I use cotton variegated threads to do my thread art. Both top and bottom. I stitch the thread so that it is close together but not over lapping. The thicker the cotton the better, I love it when the thread sits on top of the fabric. I losen my tension (top and bottom) and use non stitch regulated mode. I like to add to the texture with long and short stitches. You can run Razzle Dazzle through your bobbin on your longarm just the same as on a sit down machine, or you could couch it onto the top of your quilt just treat it like you would wool. Good luck and post some pic's of your thread painting so we can all oooohhhh and aaawwwhhh !!!:cool:

THANK YOU SO MUCH SUE

I did not know if I could use razzle dazzle in the bobbin or not. Someone told me it might be too thick because the foot sits so close to the bottom. Maybe it would have to be adjusted up if it gives trouble. I will give it a try and see what happens. Just don't want to risk upsetting the timing. Yes, that would not be a good thing at all.

How thick of a batting do you use to help stablize the heavy threading?

Sue do you even get batting pokies with Hobbs 80/20? I have gotten them on 2 or 3 quilts now and I cringe everytime I go to use it. I can't figure out what causes them! I have never gotten them with quilters dream battings. I have a whole roll to use up and I'm terrified to use it. Hints? I use mostly Sofine thread, top and bottom. Sometimes I'll use Bottom line in the bobbin. Thanks.

Archived