Web Hosting

JudyL

I had been using earthlink for my web hosting for five or six years and they don't even offer the old package anymore but it pays to check around. I was paying $9.95/month for 20 mb of space and with the new site, I have 1000 mb for $7.50/month with lots of templates and extras -- very easy to use.

If you look at my website as it is now, I'm using less than 4 mb. I plan to add more pictures and they suck up the space.

The new Website looks great! Good job, there is a lot to be learned by looking at Judy's site...clean-professional look, well organized and great pictures/information.

It's a real asset for your business. Many customers are now surfing the net looking for information before they buy and this site provides exactly what they need: prices, contact info, photos of your work, background about you and your company.

I build Websites for a living and can tell you it takes lots of work to get your Website to this level. If you'd like to learn more about how to setup your business Website, look at the articles on this Website for more tips:

http://www.mybizbuilders.com

Nothing like a review by someone who knows what they're doing.

I honestly know nothing about building web pages and it takes me a whole day what it should take 10 minutes to do. Once I get it done, I don't dare touch it.

So, for those of you wanting to do a web page, try it. I'd love to pay someone to do my site but I kinda have fun tinkering with it.

There are other things I'd like to do (add more pictures to the gallery) but I have to get some quilting done.

Guest Linda S

Hi Judy -

Your website looks great! I have got mine designed and ready to go, of course, all I need is a machine :P and then some of my work to display! Hopefully, it won't take too long before I have something that I won't mind photographing and putting up on the site. I get a "free" rather large webpage that comes with my ISP. I do, however, pay through the nose for internet service, as I'm one of those people who cannot sit and wait for downloads! ;)

Linda

Hi Judy,

Your web-site looks awesome (especially the gallery). What I really liked was that while there I wasnt bombarded with pop-ups! Could you share with us what company host you went with?

Thanks, as always, your one of the best.

Jamie

Judy,

Who's your website provider now? I have ValueWeb, at $19.95/month, have 200 MB space, I have tons of pictures up but still have lots of space.

You want to size your pictures before you upload them, I think (help me out one of you professionals here) 640 X 800 pixels? You don't want to upload 1+ MB pictures - that takes to long to view.

seeya,

Deb

The Quilt Diva

My new host is Start Logic (http://www.startlogic.com). I have 1000 MB of space and 40 GB bandwidth and I paid $90/year (which I think was $7.50/month but I'm too lazy to calculate it). No setup or transfer fee. 24/7 live chat (although it wasn't totally helpful) as well as 24/7 800 number and I got fantastic service there.

It was all kinda confusing for me since I didn't know what I was doing and couldn't get Front Page to work so I just started over. But once I got the hang of doing it without Front Page and using their templates, it was SO easy!

I think they're really for *real* businesses and not little people like me but . . it's still way less than I was paying and I'm happy.

• 4 years later...

I really like your site. Simple and very informative. I really don't like cluttered sites.

We started out using godaddy.com to host our site but they want too much money for a lot of their other web development services and tools so we decided to bite the bullet and learn how to do it ourselves. We used Rapid weaver to build our site. It is a fairly easy to use web development software application for Apple PCs. We really like all of the additional plug-ins that they offer. Check out our gallery. I really like that format.

AB

Judy, I love how you've set up your website. I need to get mine going, but I'm just not sure where to start. Maybe when I go back to work next week, I'll have some down time to investigate:D Thanks for sharing yours.

I'm a stickler for typos and grammer, so...on this page (http://www.sunshinequilts.com/fabric.shtml), the first paragraph, I think you meant to say "bit" and not "big." If you didn't want to know that, please ignore me. I have the reputation in the office of the grammer/spelling nazi. I always warn people before they have me proofread that I will usually dessimate whatever they give me. :D

Archived