Transferring designs.

I purchased alot of new designs at the last Houston Show and was wondering how most of you go about transferring them to your top? Many of the patterns have designs on BOTH sides of the paper. I also purchased the Vellum paper I think that is 18 or 24 inches wide. I understand that I trace ONE then layer, stitch without thread Using larger needle like a jeans needle, and then use my pounce chalk thru the holes. I usually use plastic templates and water soluable markers. Does this technique work well or does someone out there have an easier approach to marking that might interest me?

ALSO I need to order RULERS. I would really like one for soft curves and a small one for better control in tight spots. Where might I order them and which ones? Apparantly I need someone to tell me what I MUST HAVE because when I'm looking I tend to want them all and I can't purchase them all right now. Which are truly most used daily?

I am planning on ordering Ranaes RAYS. Has anyone used this tool. I think it is really cool but kinda pricey. It's one of those I gotta have it things I think. I thought it would be great for wholecloth drafting. I love the way she uses Thread in her quilts. I love the PLAY.

Grammie,

I'be been working on my first customers custom quilt and I've had all the same questions. I started using the blacklight powder mixed with Pounce and using the Golden Threads paper (stitched through) to mark a white area. Problem, it really bounces off...don't remember having this problem with a stencil, but with pin holes only. I've reverted to just stitching through the paper on the larger areas. One problem with that, if the pattern isn't penciled on the paper, I can't see the stitched holes on a white fabric.

So I've decided to PPP on my freehanding, cause this marking is not for me lol. As for rulers, I have bought a few, but you can do stright lines with a piece of oak from Home Depot . Try searching on rulers on this site or longarmchat.com and you'll find a wealth of info on the subject. (also I just read a string about Ranaes Rays somewhere between the two sites that will give you all the info you need on that subject).

Good luck,

Joanne

I don't mark on a customer quilt unless its iron off miracle chalk used with a stencil ( I use Pam Clarke's alot) or occasonally black light powder. I use water soluble stabalizer if its something that would be hard to do following a laser or borders if I don't want to turn the quilt. I draw the design on it with Kids Crayola washable markers just in case there is any transfer. Most of it tears off easily after quilting and a damp cloth will get rid of any bits left under stitching. Being clear it's easy to place the design exactly where you want it.

I hate sitting there picking bity bits of paper from under stitching. One time when I used Golden Threads Paper I spent twice as long picking out paper than I did loading and quilting the quilt!! and I had only used it for the top border. Not my idea of being cost effective. If anyone is interested I'll post my internet source for stabalizer as it's much less than anywhere else I've found. jeri

Do you have a laser to use? You can do laser work from the front of your machine as long as you have a stable surface for your pattern.

A sheet of acrylic or a piece of masonite (thin stiff board) laid on top of the rollers is perfect. Tape down your pattern and adjust the laser and away you go! Our machines are so vibration-free you don't have that bounce and if you are comfortable with pantos, this way is great.

If you aren't yet a "panto person", there are many ways to make your own stencils. If your design is to be used many times, making a stencil is a good idea and then you have them to use another time. Hope this helps.

Linda Rech

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just remembered that I have an acrylic piece that fits my HORN Dream Quilter Table. This creates a light box for tracing when I did my quilting on my Bernina. I didn't even think to see if it would fit the rollers. I'll check that out as soon as I wake up tomorrow. It will be easy to stablize it as long as it is fits on top of rollers. What would I do without all the help I get here. I'd BE TOTALLY LOST.

Have a great week everyone. Just two more graveyards to go.

Good morning.....could someone tell me the easiest way to move the laser to the front. I'm thinking of purchasing the pattern port from "The Patternman" but I'm a little nervous about messing with my laser. I have the Liberty. I did fine tracing one of my templates from the back, but I can see a lot of moving and taping in my future. I'm very new at this and and still mostly in the practice stage. Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by Quilts2DI4

Jeri,

Please DO post where you get the transfer paper. I am in need of just this thing at this time...it is clear you say? Sounds perfect..THANKS!

Diana

Diana,

I love to use Dissolve transfer material by Superior Threads. It is clear and slightly stretchy which makes it easy to position where you need it. It easily tears away when you've finished quilting and any excess dissolves with water. I purchase it directly from Superior Threads and it comes 47" wide on 100 yard roll. Great for doing large areas or you can cut it for smaller areas. It has been a big help to me. You may want to buy a small amount first to try it out. I've seen packets of squares etc. even on e-bay.

Pam Geary:)

Archived