madeira invisible

I agree with Joanne. You need a fine, smooth thread in the bobbin. Bottom Line by Superior or Invisafil by Wonderfil

should work beautifully. Bottom Line is 60 weight, Invisafil is 80 weight. I believe Madiera also makes a bobbin weight thread called Bobbinfil. Hope everything quilts up smoothly for you! Nancy in Tucson

Shannon,

You can use invisible thread in the top, bottom, or both places if you like. You'll find several brands available, as well as type--polyester and nylon. Poly tends to hold up to heat and UV rays better, but nylon is a little less light reflective.

If you use invisible thread in the needle, thread the machine normally, but loosen the top tension. Pull on the thread tail as it exits the needle and then release it. If you have a corkscrew when you let go, then the thread is stretching; loosen the top tension more.

Since the stretching can also happen when the top thread wraps around the bobbin, you'll have to loosen your bobbin tension, too (whether you're using invisible in the bobbin or another thin thread.)

If you choose to use invisible in the bobbin, loosen the bobbin case tension until the thread doesn't "corkscrew" when you pull on the thread tail and release it from the bobbin. Wind a bobbin only half full, and loosen the tension on your bobbin winder if it has a tension adjustment.

Check your tension like you would with any other thread...run your fingernail along the bobbin thread on the back of the quilt to make sure you haven't loosened the top TOO much so that you create loops on the back.

I use invisible in the bobbin when I use metallic thread (it has just enough "give" to not snap the metallic), when I'm stitching around appliques, or even for stitching in the ditch. You'll find lots of uses for it as a top thread, too.

Unlike cotton purists (no offense to those of you out there), I find that invisible thread does have a place in the quilting world, if properly used. It isn't the same nasty stuff from the '70's--don't be afraid to give it a try.

Have fun!

Archived