Thread with Queen

How would I go about figuring about how many quilts I can get approx to a spool of thread.

We can use the Bottom Line 3000 yds with Medium Design panto for instance.

Just curious because when I use the thread I mark underneath what I have quilted in size so I can guess if there is enough for another quilt. How do you go about this? I understand that we do heavier quilting at times but the basic meander is used alot. I just don't want to end up with bunch of wasted thread or opened cones because I'm afraid of running out of a color due to not having a spare. How do you ladies approach this? Most of the time my customers are allowing me to choose for them so I can make the most use of my thread this way.

As far as trying to figure out how many quilts can be done per cone, I don't even try. There are just too many variables. When clients schedule a quilt, they give me the approximate size and whether they want custom, panto or meander quilting. I don't even have a clue about color until the quilt arrives.

I just recently purchased 4 thread cone racks. I could've used 6 but I want to reduce my thread inventory. I try to keep an extra cone of all the colors I use a lot of and when I get a quilt in, it's usually going to take at least a week before I can get to it so I make sure I have enough of the thread I will need. If not, I have time to order it so as not to delay the quilting. Having these racks really will help me know where all my thread is and how much I have or what I'm needing to re-order.

post--13461897747073_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I agree with Judy, I keep extra spools on hand of the threads that I use the most. I also like having an extra spool as I can be winding the bobbins while I am quilting with the other spool. I would think that it would be rather difficult to judge how long a spool would last as every quilt size and amount of stitching is different. I know that the number of bobbins that I use for each quilt varies, so I know that the thread count would also.

Are you charging your customers a thread charge? If not, consider that. That will help you in building up your thread supply.

Char

Guest Linda S

Hey Judy! I'll come over and help you reduce that thread inventory. ;) And I thought I was a ThreadHead! Can't get enough of the stuff. I don't try to figure out how many quilts I can get out of each cone either. It will all depend on the style of quilting.

Linda

I could have filled 2 more racks but as I use some of the threads I don't like as much, I'll not replace those. But, I do not need to keep 4 full cones of Mint Green on hand, nor do I need 3 full cones of the bright (slicker) yellow. Looking at my thread is like looking at my stash -- there's hardly any white (only 2 cones!) and mostly red, purple, bright green and yellow . . which is exactly what my stash looks like.

Last year I saved all the empty cones . . just threw them in a box at the back of the closet. If ever you keep track of how many cones per year you use, you'll be surprised.

Archived