tartan

My dear sister got the privilege to spend three and a half weeks on vacation in Ireland and Scotland

She brought home for me to play with 4 yards of our family tartan 2 yards of two different colors.. one with a beige background and one with a slate background..

i really want to do something quilt wise that will showcase the fabric and maybe tie in a kilt or something along that lines.. any suggestions????

I've been looking at the fabric since we saw her at thanksgiving waiting for it to sing to me.. unfortunately this seems to be very mute fabric and i really need some help

Rachelle,

You can just fold the fabric like you want the kilt and I'd stitch the bottom down but probably leave a little of the pleat unstitched just to show but really even if you stitch the whole thing down you'll still see the pleat because of the excess fabric. You could also just cut out the shape of the kilt, stitch it down and then quilt the pleats in.

I would make a pattern so you can show off the squares near the 25-27" and 5-8"marks. I think 3-3-1/2 squares of fabric would work. Just find a block that appeals to you that would show case those 3-1/2" squares. It's a little bit of fussy cutting but it is the only place I see that you can cut up without loosing the plaid. There are other places to get squares if you want to go larger. I would use the rest of the fabric and make wide borders to show off the plaid. Looking at your measuring tape those borders would be 8-10" wide but you would be able to see the plaid. The border would also coordinate with the smaller 3-1/2" pieces that you used in the blocks. I have worked with plaids before and have not always found that they run true to the straight of grain.

Good luck, I'm sure no matter what you do you'll end up with a beautiful quilt.

Dianne

ok honestly have looked and looked at this fabric and didnt see it till i posted the pics up here... would it be to bland if i picked up the 6" roughly of the thin red line that leaves the intersection in the middle of the bigger plaid?

and just framed up around it w/ maybe a black with white corner stones?

fussy cut those out then use the scraps for long border pieces?

or i could set them on point using a square in square block then no corner stones.. probably just a black background .. maybe some red sashings to pop it out?? i wonder if i could "quilt" kilts into the 6ish center????

I have made a tartan sampler quilt with lots of WOOL tartans and used the embroidery machine to put each one's name on. I used a poly bat to get a puffy look as I did paisleys on it.

I have also recently done a mini quilt with silk on one side wth a fancy quilted motif and the tartan was on the back - sorry but I forgot to take a photo and now it has been sent on a tour with a tartan collection. The Scottish Guild is putting together a tartan collection that tours the UK so by the end of Jan. I will tery to get pics of them all.

Wool tartan is a pig to rotary cut and works better with scissors. It frays rather well too which is fun if you want a frayed edge like on a kilt.

I think you would show the tartan off more if you made big cushions (pillows) for the couch...

LINZI x

Archived