Fray-check or wonder under

I have a quick question.

Has anybody tried stitching through Fray-check or Wonder Under? If so, what were the results. I am working on another painted fabric applique quilt, and I'm trying to eliminate some of the raw edge fraying that happened on the last one. I've purchased smaller needles (3.0) and hope that will help. Thanks,Teresa

Teresa--

To do fusible applique, the lightest fusible to use is Lite Steam-a-Seam2. This is a double-paper backed non-permanent fusible.

You draw the mirror image of your design on one paper side, rough-cut it out , peel off the other paper side and fuse to the wrong side of the fabric. Then cut around the design on the drawn line, remove the other paper backer and it is tacky enough to stick without fusing so you can reposition until you are happy.

Ironing will fuse permanently but it is recommended that you sew all edges down as well.

I have used this stuff on many Pineneedles wall hangings by McKenna Ryan and it is what she recommends. You will still have permanent needle holes but I don't know a fusible that doesn't have the same problem. Using a smaller needle will certainly help.

Another hint that I have seen is to cut a "window" in the center of the fusible before fusing to the fabric. Cut out the center about 1/2" from the drawn line and carefully fuse. This eliminates most of the stiffness of the applique.

As far as Fray-check goes, I don't know how gloppy (technical term!) the edges would be. Maybe you could try to apply it with a small paintbrush to just the very edges so you can better control the amount.

Hope this helps. Your last project is beautiful and you should be proud!! Post pics of the next one!

Linda Rech

Olympia, Wa.

Thanks, I will try putting on the fray check with a brush Linda. And I will order some of the lite Steam a Seam 2 from Clotilde as I place an order tonight. I will definitely post pictures of the quilt when it's done. I'm hoping it will be good enough to enter. It is a garden of flowers; iris, daffodils, daisies, sunflowers, coneflowers, etc. Some of the flowers will be applique and some will be thread painted. Teresa

I use Fraycheck quite a bit and haven't had any problems, but several years ago I know a women that had it leave a dark spot on the material. The fabric was a red and it just looked like a wet spot. That's the only problem that I know of with it, but it hasn't done it to me yet. Goodluck!!

Kelly

Hi,

I got Fray Block at my local sewing store, but you should be able to get it, I would think, at Nancys Notions, Clotildes, or maybe even at your local chain store. It comes in a tube, made by June Tailor, #JT-377. Says it is washable and dry cleanable.

Char

Archived