wool quilt top

I purchased a pieced wool quilt top at an antique store and am wondering what you all would back it with. Would a wook backing be too heavy. And do you put batting in a heavy quilt like that? I'm going to quilt it with an overall meander with a heavy thread. Any suggestions would be great!

Sounds neat, but I have no idea what to do with it!! Let us know what you decide to do!! I love wool tops! I keep seeing that black wool BOM in the Keepsake Quilting Magizine and my friend and I want to do it so bad, but we figured by the time it was finished it was something close to $1,000!!! I just looked and they are using wool for the back too. But not sure about batting,,,,,maybe something light weight. keep us posted and put on pictures!! I want to see it!! linda

You would most likely want a backing heavier/higher thread count than the normal cotton as the wool is so heavy. I was always taught to pick backings of similar weight or thread count so the quilt wears better. More pull and strain on a light weight fabric with a heavy wool top.

A very light weight batting would even out the seams from the wool. you might not be as happy with a "batt-less" quilt.

I'm just looking at my post and realizing I wrote wook instead of wool. I should proof read a little better!

I'm thinking I like the idea of wool backing as well. This quilt I think has some wool and some wool blends. A friend of mine received a big box of fabric to give away and she let me take all the wool blend pieces from that box, plus a lot more! Thanks Judy if you are reading this! Anyway, there were some rather big pieces of the wool blend and I'm thinking that would work well. Also, I had not thought of putting the batting in to even out the seams. That is a good idea. Next question, wool batting? What is that like, is it really thin? I have never used it but everyone raves about it.

I think the wool batt would be great, and the wool scraps for backing, too! Sounds like you are on the right track! With the weight of the quilt I'd go with a slightly smaller than medium meander just to help with the strain on the fabric and seams. This is going to be a nice quilt, plese post pictures when you are done!

Archived