Need help with photo quilt

I have a customer who has been asked to make a photo quilt. She wants me to quilt the fabric first and will then adhere the 8x10 photos to the quilt using seam a seam and stitching down the edges. Will this work? The size of the quilt is 45 x 72, and she is giving me fleece to use as batting. I am going to quilt the fabric with ETE CL swirls. The customer does not want any stitching on the photos so we thought this might be the best way to go.

Has anyone done anything like this before with good results? I believe there will be 5-6 photos attached in groupings.

Having never done it this method you are speaking of, I do believe she may not be completely happy with the end results. When she puts down the photio's over already stitched fabric she will find the photo will not be adheared to the fabric flush. I would highly recommend to her to piece in the pictures into the quilt top and then quilt it. You don't have to stitch on the photo's. Just my opinion.

Susan,

Call me! I don't think she will be happy with the results. The photos being glued down on top of quilted fabric will be a mess. They won't stick well, only on the high points of the design. I know this woman thinks she knows what she wants, but it's not going to look good when it's finished. Many customers don't want pictures quilted over. Sometimes they are just too big to get any kind of a good result without a little quilting into the photo. I just go around the important content and it really doesn't disturb the photo when they're large photos. Other times you can get away with just quilting the borders. I'm thinking because of the size, it's not going to be a wall hanging. It will definately poof with the fleece when you have large areas that have no quilting.

Of course, you will most likely have to step to the front of the machine so you can see where your quilting.:P (I know it's your fav.;)) Sometimes people come up with these ideas without understanding what the end result will be. I love the CL swirls. I'm just not sure they will work with the type of quilt you're describing.

Good Luck!

I really don't think that is going to work real well--for both of you--and you not quilting through the picture will probally lead to disater too-- this is a pic of a tshirt quilt I did--the customer had the photos applied to the tshirts and then I made and quitled the quilt.

Just pay attention to where you are going and go around the faces--that well make a much nicer finished product.

As far as the fleece and no batting--I have done some similar--but the customer brought me a blanket--yes just a regular walmart blanket and it acturally quilted up quite nicely.

post--13461901031339_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by susanramey

Thanks for your advise ladies. I have talked with my client and she is on her way over to p/u the top to adhere the pictures before I quilt it. Any suggestions for what type of adhension to use? Is steam a seam 2 the best way to go?

I am puzzled. She wants the photos adhered to the fabric piece as opposed to printing the photos on fabric and then piecing with that fabric? Seems like there is an extra step there. She will transfer the photos to fabric, adhere the fabric to Steam-a-Seam and then adhere that prepared fabric to another piece of fabric? Then it needs to be stitched down as well? Hmmmm. The photos will be stiff and if not carefully ironed on, there may be wrinkles or ripples. There must be a better way--I am lost and hope someone else can give you a better solution.

(Steam-a-Seam II is the lightest and softest of all--but is not permanent so the photos will need stitching.)

I'm on the "disaster wagon" . This just won't work. The photos will be all lumpy with the quilting underneath, and fusibles aren't magic - they aren't going to fuse well to a lumpy surface.

It's just not a good idea, no matter what the customer wants. She will not be happy with the results.

There are a lot of ways to do it, and not all are of the same quality.

The best, and therefore the most expensive, way is to have Kinko's do it using their 300-degree transfer process.

Expensive, but you might want to consider it. $10.00 to copy an 8 1/2 x 11 xeroxed page or pictures, so I always try to fill up the entire page when I have it done. I can usually get three labels on one page, so that makes the cost not as bad.

Archived