Do You set time aside for your own quilts

I have been professionally machine quilting for about six years now and although I considered myself flattered that I have a successful business, I'm starting to feel burned out because I'm not getting my own things done. Do you set a certain time aside for yourself? I feel guilty if I do. I also have two small children. Any advice

I have a hard time quilting my own quilts knowing there are others' there to be done. I've decided that if I don't do my own things some time that I'm going to get burnt out of what I enjoy doing!! So--my quilts get put in line to be quilted just like my clients quilts do. Guess what-my quilt is next. This way I don't feel guilty because I've waited my turn. I still would like to spend more time piecing, but I try to set goals for myself on my quilting. If I get my goal done I try to piece for a little bit. That's been my resolution for this year, try and remember why I am quilting--to enjoy it for myself too!!

Kelly

Mille partner

My business isnt so hot that I cant put mine in almost anytime I want...... but if it were hot.... I would work them in when I wanted to.

A friend in TX schedules her business so she quilts three days a week for others and has Tues and Thurs for what ever she wants to do..... sew..... quilt ect. and she also takes off the month of Dec....... so she wont have to stress about getting a rush job done.

I schedule time for my piecing on weekends and I fit my own quilt tops in as they are finished along with my customer's quilt tops. A good portion of my customers are what is called "snow birds" people that spend the winter months here in Arizona and right now they are in a rush to have their tops quilted before they return back home so I have been using my weekends or my own quilting time to fit their tops in...I have a hard time sending money away ;) I don't mind doing this because I know that in the summer months my business will slow up a bit so I can catch up on my stuff.

Joann

My New Year's resolutionfor 2006 -- "schedule my own quilts." It's nice to know that I can work on my projects without guilt, when I have them in the schedule. This year is going to be a "home-made Christmas" at our house, so by scheduling my own projects, I'm getting Christmas done and having fun too! It's a nice break about once a month to take a couple days for myself.

I to never seemed to get my things done either. Always wanting to get work out that had been brought to me. After trying to do a quilt for 1 ? years. My kids said mom you should have time off for your own stuff. So now instead of spending 7 days a week. TWO of them are mine. Sometimes I even take 1 or 2 more days. You can not believe what I have accomplished in doing tons of my work. SURPRISE I still get the work out and the customer is happy.

I do not have a big work load and want it that way. I retired and do this just for the love of it and some extra cash.

Bobette

I work from 9-6 on customers' quilts. I work on my own projects in the mornings and evenings. Thank goodness for the zippers. I also schedule my own tops with my customer quilts. Most of my after hour quilts are QOV or other charity quilts.

I also have my customers reserve spots to have their quilts done. This way I can limit my load and the amount of customer quilts that I have in my studio at one time. I like to have no more than 2 customer quilts. That way if there ever was a fire I could most likely get them out. All these little things to think/worry about!!!

Archived