zippered leaders

spools

I don't think Mary and I could function very well any more without our zippers. We must have at least 8 or 10 sets by now. Seems like we always have 2 or 3 quilts with zippers ready to go. In addition, as we often give demonstrations on our machines and teach classes somewhere in between all this so we usually have a couple of practice pieces also zippered!

Myrna is right! Time equates to $$$$. I would much rather pay Sue to take care of making up the sets rather than using my own time. We usually keep some extra sets around the studio also for our students to purchase.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I just got Miss Millie set up this past weekend. :D The new manual is great. The kids helped me when I needed something held. Of course I haven't gotten around to loading a practice quilt yet.

My question is: I purchased the zippers. Do i need to wait and let the leaders do their stretching? Or can I go ahead and sew them on now?

thanks.....Lani

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick response about zippers. I have them on the Millenium and they work fine. I do have them attached to strips of muslin which have velcro on the other side. The velcro was put on the leaders when I first recieved the machine last March. I used the velcro for quite a few quilts before I bought the zippers. The problem was sometimes the hook side of the velcro which was attached to the leaders would catch on the batting and it would get messy. By using strips of muslin which are mostly cutaway pieces from trimming the quilts, I don't stitch the quilts directly to the zippers. The muslin eventually gets worn so I just add another piece. This keeps my zippers out of the way of stitching and does not add much bulk. I consider the muslin strips sacrifice pieces more or less.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived