Fill on wholecloth

My wholecloth quilt is coming along. I am attaching pictures. I am stuck though, I don't know whether to stipple quilt all that blank white area or do rays out from the center medallion, or maybe crosshatch the whole thing.

I know you can't see it all, because it's still on the frame, but it has the square center medallion set on point then accent pieces to fill the gap, then a feathered cable around the whole inside.

Then there is a 2" burgandy border and the outside borders are 8" with irises quilted all the way around. I bought burgandy bottom line to finish the backing and ivory so fine to finish the top. I would like the rest of the stitching to blend in so the designs will show. Any suggestions?? thanks.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

post--13461897757404_thumb.jpg

These are my thoughts. What I would do in the large open area would be to do diagonal lines, 1/4" apart, rather than radiating lines. I wouldn't stipple it since you have stippled inside the motif already. I think cross hatching would also be good. I would continue with the straight diagonal lines outside the cable, then stipple around your quilting design in the outer border. Looks good!

I finished my first wholecloth in Dec. The biggest thing I learned was to make sure there's high contrast from one design motiff to the other. For ex: I did a fairly large open area with fill - using tight McTavishing and microstippling. I created a suble secondary diamond-shaped area that was McTavished, and microstippling butted right up next to it. It was "ok", but when off the frame and viewing the overall effect, I wished the difference would've been more (when we put in ALL THAT WORK, we want GREAT!! - moreso than just "ok" - right? :)

I know you have the burgundy thread as a high contrast, but (my 2 cents) I would consider linework vs stippling to heighten it even more. That kind of contrast would heighten the design interest in that area - plus, if there's only linework in your center area, it would serve to echo/repeat that design element elsewhere in your quilt. (I always try to repeat design elements in more than one place because it unifies the overall design of the entire piece.)

A large cream stippled area next to the burgundy stippled design could be viewed by those looking at it as . . . oh . . . yada, yada, yada . . . more of the same, just red . . . POP something different in there and it becomes eye-candy and exciting.

Just an idea to consider if you chose to stay with the stippling in the cream area - since your fleur is stippled, maybe you could leave just a 1/4" unquilted space around it, and do your fill work up to that - it would give the eye a bit of a break and give more definition to the fleur shape. (Looks like it's too late now, but that might've worked too as a trapunto area emphasizing that neat shape. Hindsight, I know - sorry - but there's always the next wholecloth waiting to be birthed once you do your first one. :)

Blessings on you as you continue your journey with this - I found it to be quite a learning experience!! Whew! Sherry O

• 2 weeks later...

Archived