Where do I start

When MQ a block corner and borders, how do I start? Do I do the border and then the block corners at the beginning of the quilt, then quilt the center, turn and do the corners and borders? My first flannel was not good. By the time I turned the quilt and did the borders, they seemed quite wavy. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks-Marie

Hi Marie,

I am by not means an expert on this, but this is what I learned from Donita Reeves at MQS last year. She does the top border, SID along the borders, then works through the quilt by stabilizing (SID) around the blocks, and then does the bottom border. After working through the quilt to stabilize she then turns the quilt, does the side border. Does all the detail in the blocks and then finally, the last border.

This is alot of work, but I have followed this process and I have had great results.

Hope this helps.

Patty

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I first baste down the sides, then do any SID to stabilize the quilt. Make sure you measure your sides and work with them so they are all stabilized the same width.

I rarely turn a quilt, pick patterns that I can do without turning the quilt, so haven't had much experience with that. But wavy quilts can occur because the quilt wasn't even widths before quilting.

Char

Archived