stabilizing

Robin

When doing a separate border, say a panto in the borders, and then a different overall or panto in the center portion of a quilt, do you stabilize by running some basting through the middle portion of the quilt? I know usually when stabilizing you quilt the border, then stabilize the border seam, them you would stabilize around the blocks, then do the bottom border, then turn, etc. My question is when you are doing an overall or panto in the middle section of the quilt, do you stabilize or baste every so often to keep any fullness from giving you trouble later? Or do you quilt the border, SID the border line, then just keep progressing on down through the quilt? I am sure this is clear as mud. :( Also, I know Linda Taylor does not clamp the sides when stabilizing and Donita Reeves does. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Some very good questions that I've wondered about myself. Personally, I don't stitch anything in the quilt that I'm going to have to take out later, like basting in the center. Then again, I've never had a D cup quilt either. I've seen pictures with pins in the center to keep things in place and I have done that on the inside edge of borders a couple of times.

If you want to stabilize by basting, why not use Superior's "Vanish." Then you can either spritz it or touch the stitches with a wet Q-tip to get rid of them.

I've done different border treatments on quilts (freehand borders with panto in the body of the quilt). I stitched the top border first, then switched to the panto to finish the quilt. Then went back and SID around the inner border, then finished the freehand borders. It was a wall-hanging size, but that seemed to work.

The way I would approach this quilt is to stabilize the border up one side, across the top and down as far as I could. Pin the snoot out of the borders as I went to keep them in place. I also like to baste the outside edge of the borders as I go. This takes a little bit of time but I think it is well worth the trouble. Then I would do the first section of the panto. Then roll, stabilize the borders as far as you can, baste the outside of the border, pin then stitch panto. Continue to end. Now go in and do the borders. You could do the bottom first since you are already there, then roll back to first. Then turn quilt and finish the other two. Clear as mud right?

Are you doing a continuous line in the borders? f so I would do the top border, start quilting the interior of the quilt, basting the side borders VERY WELL as you roll. Do the bottom border, take it off and turn to complete the sides. If you are free handing the borders, I would, do the top and as much of the sides as I could. Start the interior and as I roll pick up the freehand work in the border and complete the side as I go to the down, finish bottom border.

Archived