Quilt block question

I am not that knowledgable about blocks, so I thought I would come here to pick your brain. I was asked the question today,"Are there any blocks that pertain to doctors or lawyers?"

This lady was asking 'cause her daughter will be getting married (in 2 yrs) so she thought if she started now (since she has never made a quilt) that she would start asking....where to start.

The DD is the doc. specializing in childrens plastic surgery and the future SIL is the lawyer.

I thought it was a bizarre question but now it has me curious. TIA

There is a barrister (I don't think I spelled that correctly) block. If you have the book by Barbara Brackman "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns" offered through American Quilter's Society that would give you some blocks you are looking for. www.AmericanQuilter.com. I hope this helps.

Charlotte

It's great that she thought enough to plan ahead! I agree with Charlotte and Sew Simple, since she has never made a quilt some blocks could be a real challenge. There is a lot of beautiful fabric relating to occupations. Quilting treasures makse some great Norman Rockwell fabrics that may have doctor pics. Just go to the fabric sites and search. Some great sites are equilter, fabric depot, thousands of bolts, hancock, keepsake and the list goes on. You can also google doctor/lawyer fabric. She could also include their school emblems, etc. The list is endless.

I remember seeing a two color quilt block with lawyer in the title. Now if I can remember where I saw it... I think that "Al's Hammer" has been around.

Pamela

P.S. I got the Al's Hammer from a former staff member who used to tell me he had been hit again.

Archived