Please help! I don't know how!!

I have a quilt ready to load and the customer has requested a panto in the body and custom in the borders. When I usually do panto's I run them off the edges but can't do that now. How do I begin and end a panto row to make it look good without running into the borders??? All advice is welcomed!!!!!!

Thanks! Janette

Janette, in Myrna's beginner's DVD she used painters tape to mark the deliniation line on the panto where to stop so you don't run past. When you get close to the blue tape you can look up at the quilt to see where you're at and you can fudge to the stopping point. I used this technique once for a quilt and it worked great.

I feel really dumb even asking this question...I am sure if I just do the math I should be able to figure out how I will come out at the bottom of the quilt....just have not done this before and don't want to totally mess it up.

Janette

Janette, well, don't ask me to do any math because I'll just give a blank stare into outer space. :P Math is not in my highest of skill sets! ;)

Anyway, I think when you are using your panto and you are nearing the edge where the border is, stop just prior to starting the next row and use your laser light and run that along the area where the border starts. Use the laser light to help you place the blue tape. That way you know to stop just prior (maybe an inch or so) to meeting the blue tape line. Then you can fudge your way to the end where the border is,,, or you can use a wet erase marking pen to draw a temporary line on the panto plastic cover that connects the panto so it continues, rather than going past the blue tape line.

I hope I made sense. :)

Thanks Karen and Shana.You both make sense....now if I can execute it. You would think that after quilting as many years as I have, this would have come up before now but it just was never requested. I do feel really dumb but your instructions will make it easier...........thanks! Janette

It's really hard to do the math to make the rows in a panto come out exactly even because the quilt draws up some as you quilt. Additionally, I don't like to space the panto rows out farther than the designer drew them, because then it doesn't look as interlocked - they are more obviously repeating rows.

I agree with the previous posters - when you get towards the end, either draw some new lines on paper to fill in any gap. I've also just moved around to the front of the machine and freehanded in something similar to the panto.

Julia

Hi Nettie. I have a client who has borders on all her quilts and I often do a panto in the middle. What I do is basically what Julie does except I figure out where the best place to start and stop a row is and then I redraw the beginning and end of the panto. Towards the bottom I see how much of the panto will fit. Sometimes just by altering the distance between the rows makes it fit. Other times I redraw the bottom. Does this make sense?

Lib

I really appreciate all the info...now another question. Should I quilt the top borders before I start the panto in the body of the quilt. I thought I would....then baste the sides. After I finish the body of the quilt, do the bottom borders and then turn the quilt to do the sides??? Is that sounding right??? Janette

Well, for me, I would pin everything really good to stablize (all four borders top bottom and sides) and quilt the inner body of the quilt with the panto first. Then go back and quilt the outer borders. Things shift too much when quilting. I'd rather start in the middle and work out.

(That's just my humble opinion!)

Archived