needle screw

You can go to the local hardware store and get a 4-40 screw as short as possible. (It will probably be longer than you want.) You can cut it off if you have a wire stripper that has a thread cutter on it. Just clean up the end that goes against the needle with a file. This will get you by and you would not need to cut is off for temporary use. When you install it do not force it if it does not screw in easily (It may have a burr or other problem). You should order some extra screws from APQS they are only 50 cents each. You probably should get a couple of the pigtail guides for spares $1.30 each. The shipping would probably be the same.

Good Luck,

John

I went to the Fastenal place( a place where they carry all kinds of fasteners) and got a set screw and an allen wrench to replace the screw. I now don't have any trouble tighteneing the screw I also don't strip the threads.

Connie you might think about replacing that screw with a set screw.

I'll attempt to answer a few of your questions. The pigtails (these are the last two thread guides before the needle) need to be changed when they are worn. The thread will eventually wear a groove in the guide and it will cut the thread. Replacement depends on how much and what kind of thread is pulled thought. Monofilament will wear the guides faster that other threads. You can turn them over in a pinch but they are cheap (If I remember right $1.30 each).

The needle bar set screw can be installed on the other side (the needle bar is threaded all the way through). It is placed on the left because the thread might catch if it is on the right. We have used our machines with the screw on the right for years without any problems.

I would recommend as spares, 2 needle bar setscrews, pigtails, tension return spring, and bobbin case. For a bobbin case spring in a pinch you can use a side of a prewound bobbin or a donut cut from paper. The fuses are available from Radio Shack and the lamp from Home Depot or Lowes. You machine has a spare fuse in the fuse holder for immediate use.

John

You Betcha!

Here is my list, the prices may be off a bit as this was put together awhile ago. Perhaps others will want to add to this as well.

APQS spare parts list

QTY 20 Bobbins (Metal) $0.50 each =10.00

1 Bobbin Case $9.95

1 Check Spring $2.50

1 Hook, Teflon $64.95

Needles:

1 MR4 7.50

1 MR3 7.50

2 Needle bar set screw $.50 each =1.00

4 Thread guides: Wire ? pigtail $1.30 ea = 5.20

1 Tension assy. 15.00

Total 126.30

Great list, Sherry. I had to search for my little bag of extras and there are some things I need to order.

Another thing I keep on hand is the screw that holds the needle plate down. I stripped one of those once when I was using a long screw driver and couldn't get it in the righ position.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived