Dream Puff v. Dream Poly

gable428

I want to try a new batting, but before I buy a whole roll I would like to know what you all like and why. I want a batting that shows off the quilting and doesn't shrink. Just when I thought I would give Dream Poly [select] a try, I saw where someone posted how much she likes Dream Puff. Now I am really confused. Your reasons why you use one over the other? Thank you!!

Puff is just what it says: PUFF

The poly can be quilted flat just like the cotton. Puff adds a lot more loft. Be prepared for an explosion if you order the roll. When it came it looked just like any roll of batting. I took the plastic wrap off and left it for a day or two and it looked like it expanded three times it's original size! Funny to see!

BTW -- it's all poly - no skrinkage

Gable,

I like Puff if I really want the quilting to show. I use this a lot and my customers love it. I like that it is drapable. It is more drapable than the dream poly which is my 2nd fav. What kind of batting do you like now. Do you like a flatter look like warm and natural? I'd say that dream poly is more like warm and natural only not near as stiff. Dream Puff is more like Wool I think.

Heidi, I have been using Hobbs 100% cotton and Hobbs 80/20 for the last three years. Before that I used Warm and Natural. Depending on the type of quilting I am doing, sometimes I want the quilting to show up more than other times. I do a lot of lap size and twin size quilts. I'm just ready to try something different.

Gable,

If you have a wholesale account with Quilters Dream you can order a sampler box of every batt they carry in craft size for $40! It is a great way to get a good size sample of everything. I'm going to use 1/2 to make up a sampler of the different weights so my customers can see how it feels in a quilt and the other half will be enough for table runners! I love their product. My old guild in VA used to order it and that was how I got started with it. That was in the mid 90's. I have never had a bad experience with their batting. You also don't have to order large quanties. You can order 1 batt at a time if you want! Great customer service too.

Heidi, unfortunately I don't have a wholesale account:( I know I want to order the Dream Poly Select. I'm wondering if the Dream Puff may be too puffy. I like the idea of how warm it is, but I don't want something that is going to look fluffy like a comforter.

Gable,

Did you see my wedding quilt? I used dream puff in that and you can see it isn't puffy! It does depend how much you quilt it down. Even my customers who weren't sure about it have ended up loving it. You should get a craft size and quilt a wall hanging on it and see what you think. Everybody has their preferences. If you want something that shows the quilting and is more like 80/20 or warm and natural go with the poly select or poly delux.

Gable,

I love the Dream Puff - but certainly not for all quilts - really depends on the look you want. This is want I have learned after using it a lot.

It quilts beautifully with practically zero lint - wonderful for keeping that machine clean

Don't over quilt. You can quilt it to death and it will be flat just like cotton. Instead utilize it for definition - which is what you seem to be looking for.

It maintains its shape better than Dream Poly as you continue to give those little tugs with each roll of the quilt.

I buy the packaged and let it sit a bit before loading. I also have found that the packaged Dream Puff sometimes has to be squared up (I fold in half and trim off the top edge)

I love it when I don't over quilt - much more cuddly than most other battings. It is very light weight, warm, and softens with washings. My customers (only have a few because I really am not in business) always select Dream Puff for their grandchildren's quilts though I try to sway them away if for an infant (not fire retardant).

If I am making a really good quilt - I will use wool over the Dream Puff - wool is my favorite.

I love Quilter's Dream batting. I usually use the poly mid-loft, but I also use their 100% cotton, their Puff and their wool. Probably the wool is my favorite, but due to cost, I use the poly more often. The Puff is very nice for stitch definition. A foux (I think the spelling is wrong) trapunto look can be obtained by just quilting the day-lights out of the area around your design, eg, around a feather wreath.

I like Heidi's idea of getting a sampler of all the battings they sell. Besides using them for a wall hanging or table runners, there's always a need for baby quilts.

I have only bought the individual packaged battings due to storage issues and the fact that I'm not in business, but I have considered a roll of one of their battings. My trouble is I like to switch around the battings that I use. It has become kinda like a thread obsession, or a ruler obsession, if anyone can relate to that? LOL

Gable I think that will be a great test for you. Make sure you wash it too. It really does look different after it is washed. A couple of the gals from my guild were just here and we were discussing battings. I showed them samples of washed and unwashed and they were just amazed at the difference. They loved the feel of the puff and especially after they saw that it isn't super puffy especially after it is washed. It still shows the quilting though.

Archived