Batting coming through to backing

I am quilting with warm and white and am having a problem with the batting coming through to the backing. It not just in one spot or going one direction. It is all over. I have changed the needle, checked the tension and am at my wits end. The backing is cotton. A beautiful piece of double wide fabric, not a cheap fabric. Any suggestions? Also, what do I tell the client? Thanks in advance for your ideas.

My first thought was a dull needle and my second thought was cheap backing. If those aren't the case, I'd try a smaller needle. Also, you may have put the batting in "upside down". The needle needs to go through the scrim side first, and I think that I figured out that means the patterned / textured side of W&W is down, closest to the backing. That won't help your current problem, but perhaps in the future.

What kind of thread? If cotton, I'd try a poly.

I always pre-wash all my fabrics, but everyone doesn't. This particular backing may have more sizing than usual.

I have done several quilts with Warm & White, and while I didn't have pokey problems after the first quilt after I learned about the scrim, W&W just doesn't do justice to our quilting and I will STRONGLY discourage future customers from using it.

Might I suggest that you try another needle. I know you said you changed the needle, but just maybe that one is bad too? a bad batch of needles, or a bad batch of batting?

I just finished a quilt using Quilter's Dream Blend next to the backing, and black poly on top (I wanted a thick stable batt.) The backing is red, and the top is black. I wondered if the white batting would poke through the back, and the only places where you can see any white is once in a while where the stitching goes over other stitching making a larger hole; and once in a while it looks like the thread tugged at the fabric and caused the batting to pull through. That's a tension issue. Does that make sense?:o

The only time I've had trouble is when the backing fabric is loosely woven--or a high contrast color i.e. dark solid fabric/white batting.

Ann is right about the scrim, and upside down batting can make a difference, and trying a smaller needle depending on the thread you're using.

There-----did we help?;)

I've had this happen with 80/20 hobbs and it drives me crazy! I find that a 3.5 needle works best and gives fewer pokies. I have also found that after a couple of washings the pokies go away for the most part. It is so annoying. I think what is happening is the thread is grabbing the batting as the needle goes through and pulling it to the outside so changing thread might be a good suggestion. Also Bonnie told me that steaming the batting might help. Let me know if you find something that definitely works!

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=14723&page=1#pid155700

If the link works, you can read about my major problem until I changed to Groz-Beckert. You didn't mention what brand of machine you have, and I see you haven't made many posts here, so perhaps you are new. I think each make of machine will have a brand of needles that it likes best, and perhaps even within the same make, two different machines might work better with two different needles. I was provided the needles when I bought my Gammill, so evidently they are approved for Gammill, however, my machine loves the GB and I haven't had one problem since I changed to them. Part of the frustration of being a beginner is the hassle it takes to get acquainted with this new love in our lives, and just like a man, won't tell us what it needs, but instead shows us its displeasure by acting up!

Cassandra,

Warm and Natural and Warm and White are notorious for your trouble. The dense batting resists penetration by the needle, and occasionally the needle with catch a "slub" that was created when the batting was originally needle-punched and push it out the back.

These things can help:

[*] Turn the batting over (needle-punched batting has a "right side and wrong side". You want the machine needle to penetrate the batting the same way the batting was punched at the factory. For Warm and Natural, the "dirty" side goes up. Warm and White--look for dimples on one side and "pimples" on the other. Dimples go up, pimples down.)

[*] Color in the offending batting pops with a Pigma marker from the quilt shop (be sure to heat-set them when they're done.)

[*] Too late for this one, but warn customers about the potential "occasional" pokes with W&N and W&W. Give them the option of switching batting.

[*] Smaller needles can help, but won't eliminate the problem completely. Be sure it's new and sharp; if you see the bearding every hole, then the needle's dull; if it's only an occasional spot, then it's the batting.

Good Luck!

Archived