Pantograph Quilting Thread Choice

I am about to do my first pantograph on a real quilt..it is all cotton fabrics with a wam and natural batting I have perma core 30wt thread that I was going to use..I also like this Poly Quilter thread but it is a 16wt feels thick to touch I am afraid it will be too much for pantographs..so I guess my question is what is the recommended thread wt choice?? As you can tell this something I need to learn alot about any good books or dvds that would be helpfull in picking the right thread wt for different quilting options please let me know. Thanks And is this 30wt a good option for this....The pantograph is a swirly lines with strars....Jackie

Hi Jackie,

I have used the poly quilter thread with no problems. But I did use a 4.0 needle and used a regular weight thread in the bobbin. Why don't you make a stitch sample (practice piece) using the different threads and mark what thread brand, color and weight you used. That way you can tell at a glance what it is going to look like.

My favorite thread to use is Superior So Fine but have used the poly quilter, king tut and Signature. I tend to chose my thread more on what I have in stock first, then worry about the thread weight second. If I was making an art quilt, then I would be more concerned about the thread weight.

Where in Chicago are you? I used to live in Elmwood Park. Also there is a group of us that meet in Illinois, next meeting in March in Havana.

Char

I'd use a 40 or 50 weght cotton such as Aurifil, YLI, or Presencia. Or possibly one of Superior's King Tutt variegated or their new Masterpiece. Sulky Blendables would be another choice. I find perma core to be rather heavy and use it for decorator fabrics or thick poly battings such as the 16 oz for comforters. But then I prefer cotton threads. If you like poly threads I'd pick So Fine or Rainbows.

Jackie: I think PermaCore is measured in the "tex" measurements and is in between a 30 and 40 weight. I guess about 35 weight. I use some Permacore thread and I don't find it too heavy for pantos at all.

I mostly use Signature cotton or Superior King Tut for pantos.

Guest Linda S

I've used just about any thread for pantos. I have to admit that nearly all of my threads are Superior. I've got an account with them, have never had any problems with their threads, they have a great selection, so I've no reason to go elsewhere.

Linda

Archived