Discover some tricks to mastering thread tension

Pam,

Yes, the same issues apply to George as they do to the longarm machines, with one major difference. Since George sits in a cabinet, the direction you move the fabric will have a greater impact on the stitch quality.

For George, the stitch will look the best when you PUSH the fabric through the machine toward the back of the cabinet (that's the same as us stand-up quilters moving the machine to the right.) That part will be familiar to you, since that's the way we are all accustomed to piecing--the fabric moves through George the same way.

Now the next part is the tricky part for you. If you used a domestic machine to machine quilt before you bought George, chances are that you shoved the bulk of the quilt inside the machine's throat, and quilted by moving the fabric to the LEFT and out of the throat.

With George, your stitch will look best moving the fabric to the RIGHT and into the throat. That motion is the same as a stand up quilter moving the machine toward her.

So you'll see the biggest change in tension when you're moving the fabric toward you and out of the throat.

Needle size is especially important with George, because you regulate the stitch length by your motion. With thread like King Tut or other sturdy cottons, try a 4.5 size needle.

FYI...for a while the George machines were sent out with 3.5 needles; check your stash. If you are having tension problems, order some 4.0 and 4.5 needles to reduce the flex.

For the quilt you're doing right now, I'd wager that you're having a tougher time getting the YLI to pull up into the quilt layers. A bigger needle may be needed to make the hole large enough for the thicker YLI to pull up. Let me know how it's going!

Susan,

You asked what would happen if the bobbin tension was too loose...great question!

The first thing you'd notice would be little bumps of bobbin thread up on top of the quilt. You'd have the "railroad tracks" on the top instead of the back of the quilt. However, it's much harder to get railroad tracks on the top, simply because of the way the stitch is formed in the hook area (but it's not impossible!)

A "too loose" bobbin can also cause sloppy stitches at starts and stops, because the bobbin thread doesn't have any resistance on it as you try to lock the stitches in place.

It's always a good idea to check under the flat "tension finger" that wraps around the bobbin case on the outside (it's that piece of metal that you slide the thread under before it exits the case). Tiny thread shavings and lint can build up under that finger when you least expect it, especially if you use cotton thread in the bobbin. Suddenly the tension goes whacky on the quilt and you wonder why!

To clean under that finger, some quilters "floss" under it with another piece of thread. Others slide the corner of a business card underneath and work out any lint balls. I take one of my fine flower head pins and lay it parallel to the outer edge of the case, and slide it in near the rear of the tension finger (where it's screwed on to the case) and gently slide it toward the hole where the thread exits. Sometimes I have huge dust bunnies stuck under that tension finger.

Whatever method you use, just be gentle and take care to not "pry up" on the flat tension finger, or you could bend it out of shape. It's also a good idea to have a back up bobbin case :).

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Did I read correctly that you have a special breakfast lecture. did i miss that? Is it a special event or a class? maybe I need to go back and check again, what day was that anyway. I could really use more help with tension problems. Hope to see you there.

Dawn,

I need help with Rainbows and metallics. If there are any tricks I would sure like to know about them. I guess I need permission to mess with the tension, which your article gave me. But I would like to see you demo with some of these threads if possible. Thank you for asking. The class sound like it is something I will be able to take away a lot of good information. I appreciate you offering it!!

Charlotte

Dawn thanks for the info.

Any chance the APQS crew would put your wonderful articles in pdf print format or another. It would be nice to keep the tips in my info collection I keep without having to print all the color stuff from the website each time.

Just a thought.

Hugs and thanks again Grammie

Archived