Discover some tricks to mastering thread tension

Visit the home page today and click on "QuiltTalk" at the bottom of the page for a new article that addresses thread tension, and offers tips on dealing with thread like King Tut and other heavy threads.

Or, use the link below. Be sure to keep me informed of new topics you'd like to see discussed!

Quilt Talk March Issue: Tension Troubles? Let Me Teach You the Secret Handshake

Hi Dawn,

Great article! And so timely as I am just experiencing some tension problems with George due to the thread composition I am using (50 wt silk on top, YLI variegated in the bobbin).

You mention that the needle gets to the hook too soon because it drags to the right when stitching free-hand circles in the 6:00 to 9:00 area. I am wondering whether this is the also true for George? Since you essentially are moving in the opposite direction (moving the fabric vs the needle), do the tension changes occur in a different place?

Also in your article you mention changing needle sizes - is this also true for George?

Many thanks,

Pam Raby

Thank you, thank you, thank you Dawn,

I have not touched my Millie for a while because I have been so frustrated with tension issues.

I printed out the article and feel happy to go back to her and "fix" her up!! I, like many here, am a visual person, and your instructions and photos' are great.

Your article couldn't have come at a better time.

Regards,

Archived