Practice Designs: Hand Drawing

WesternWilson

Right in your neighborhood, Janet! Darlene Epp (of Vancouver) has a series of "pocket guides" with some wonderful beginner patterns (and some advanced ones, too!). Check out her website at www.TrilliumHouseDesigns.com

Sally Terry has a book called Pathways to Better Quilting. It is a very simple concept of 5 shapes for machine quilt patterns. She has you look at the arc, s-curve, straight line, loop, and hook. Then you put those shapes into designs. She also talks about cell memory and hand-eye coordination.

To each his own I guess. I draw with my fingers and pivot my wrist. That's how I did all the drawings in the Pocket Guides to Freehanding and the feathers in the Heirloom Feathers Guide and Workbook.

For me, it's the pattern imprinting on the brain that works, not the "muscle" memory. I have enough trouble with my brain having any memory, let alone my muscles! LOL :cool:

I find once I get the hand/eye/brain coordination going with drawing, it doesn't matter what size I want to quilt the design, it still works.

Janet, if you're ever out this way, just give me a call. We could have a play date! Which machine do you have?

Archived