help with backing

When you have a backing that is barely wide enough, 1 1/2 to spare on each side with muslin attached so I can clamp to it, how do you load it. Do you load it normally, top to the take up roller, or turn it and attatch the side to the take up roller, and put the top as close to the edge as possible?

Clear as mud? I've never had a backing that didn't leave me plenty on the sides.

Thanks for any advice.

PamH

Thanks Shana. It's a customers quilt and she doesn't have anymore fabric. She doesn't seem to be too concerned about it. You know we are mircle workers we can do any thing, yeah right. I'm just stressing about getting it crooked.

If it is plenty long, then I would load the top/bottom to the leaders, and work the narrow sides as I go. I have done this myself and it is a pita. If it is narrow every which way, then I would add something to the top, then load top first, and align the quilt top as close to the top edge of the backing fabric as you can get it.

Clear as mud back at ya?

Pam one thing that helps when you get the skimpy backs is just what you have done. AlsoI float all my quilt tops so I pin the top as close to the backing that is already pined and rolled up. Also I use blue painters tape and looking down from the front of your machine look directly down at the quilt top roller. See where the edge of the quilt is. Place tape so that it goes around the bar. Now close one eye and place a mark where the edge of the quilt is. Use your dominant eye(we all have one) to make the mark. I use a sharpy. Do the same on the other edge of the quilt top. Now as you advance your quilt check the tape with one eye closed to make sure your are still square. I hope this helps.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Archived