Question on my First T-Shirt Quilt

I just finished my first T-shirt quilt for a PITA customer. She wanted monopoly used for top and bobbin. I used Superior's monopoly and only had 2 thread breaks on top and no breaks at all in the bobbin. It worked great in the bobbin!

My question is about the puffiness of the top. The jersey fabric of the T-shirts look like they weren't sticking to the interfacing that she used in some places and now the fabric doesn't lay as flat as I would like. For batting I used Quilter's Dream polyblend. What do you all think? Is this normal for a Tshirt quilt? Also--she used T-shirts for the backing. It was a pain to quilt and I really don't like it, but I hope she does.

Susan

post--13461901551009_thumb.jpg

Looks fine to me and if the stabilizer wasn't ironed at the right temp. it won't adhere well. I use Stacey Shape-Flex on my t-quilts, it's woven so it gives a bit with the knit shirts. She didn't sash her shirts either and that helps keep each block square and prevent stretching! You did a great job with the meander, Susan, don't sweat the small stuff! Remember these quilts are all made from used clothing and are usually meant to be used! Mine are! :)

This is the peicer's responsibility. When I make T-shirt quilts, I fuse the lighted interfacing to the back of the T-shirt BEFORE cutting. Then cut it out and sew...no shifing. When you long arm, the jersey doesn't shift.

Sewing T-shirt fabric to woven fabric is almost impossible without some kind of stabilization.

I think you did a great job.

Just my opinion but I like lots of texture in the t-shirt quilts I make. I think it makes them look more like a quilt. My customers also like the texture. You put way more stitches in yours than I do in mine. I use a panto. I love the way they quilt out. I don't think I'd want to do one with t-shirts as backing. I often put a t-shirt on the back but it is on top of cotton fabric. I like the way yours looks.

Archived