Quilting class

One of my local quilt shops has asked me to join two other quilters to teach a class on how to prepare your quilt, pick batting and talk about fabric. Is this something that is normal? I guess I ask that because who is going to lead the class and who will answer questions and will that leave the other two quilters just standing there. I was going to do this class with this quilt shop but we just never firmed up a date.:) Please advise what you would do...thanks.

Pat Horning

Quilted Treasures by Pat

Perhaps divide the cirriculum...one demonstrate batting/backing - selection and prep. Another talk about

fabric selection/color chart, etc., and one elaborate on actual starting the quilt...tools needed, laundering the fabric, templates, seams, back stitching, give a demonstration on how a GOOD quilt lays and then show a sample of one with crooked seams and puckers...I think it could turn out to be a terrific forum and we all will wish we were there.

Hmmm... for probably a year now, I have been letting some thoughts jumble around in my head about doing a presentation for my guild and title it something like "There is a good reason why we do it this way..." or something like that. Anyway, I know many quilters (old and new, including myself) who have no idea about the "why" or good reasons for practicing following specific rules for certain steps.... All I know is what used to come out of my mom's mouth when I was a kid: "It's because I said so, that's why!" :D (you all remember mom saying this, don't you?) ;) Anyway, we never got the reasons behind the "because I said so" from mom; just did as we were told and moved on. Well, maybe it's time we told our uneducated quilters about the reasons why and show examples. Some examples would be pieced blocks cut on bias (especially those in the borders that get really wonky); or why it's important to strive for blocks to be the same size prior to piecing them together; or why we should measure the top before cutting and applying the border strip; or why it's a good idea to wash your fabrics, especially the reds and purples and blues; or what is the benefit for blocking a quilt; or why the longarm quilter needs 8 inches larger backer and batting than the top. Discuss squaring your backer or making sure your backer is square (and pressed with wrinkles gone) and importance of "why" we need this. Discuss various threads and various battings and which types of batting gives which types of results? Stuff like this.... I have been mulling this over in my head and one of these days I think I'll put something together. ;)

Pat--a class for prepping a quilt for a longarmer sounds like a dream for all three of you. Never pass a chance to educate the potential customers out there! A bonus for you and the students would be hand-outs reinforcing all the steps--be sure to include your contact info on the sheet. The students wouldn't be there unless they were interested in hiring someone to quilt for them!!

Shana--I love your "what and why" class thoughts. More education!! Also, the why part can be demonstrated with a top with multiple problems. Wanna borrow one of my UFOs as a bad example??!!

A class like that would be so beneficial for everyone. Until I got the Millie I didn't know why the backing and the batting had to be so much longer on every side. Now I know when I tried to skimp on one of my quilts. Never again.

Also stress the fact that if they measure in 3 places across and down the quilt top before putting on the border it just may eliminate the wavy borders. When I first started quilting we were told to sew down the side and wack it off when we reached the other end. I think even Elenor Burns did it that way in the beginning. It is an opportunity to enlighten the possible consumer. Go for it.

Charlotte

Shana, they say that the most persuasive word in the English language is BECAUSE. If we're looking for a collaboration with those who make the tops, it's a grand idea to explain WHY certain steps in the quiltmaking process will really enhance the finished product.

We had one longarmer present a brief program to our guild last year. I like the idea of dividing topics among the three of you, Pat...talk fabric prep, why a square top is important, differences in batting. It might be touchy between the 3 of you but customers also want to know how the pricing is structured. Bring plenty of business cards and have fun,

Nancy in Tucson

I did this several times in Texas and it is fun but I didn't do it with another quilter but would have been happy to. Sounds like alot of fun. Just get with the other quilters and you ladies plan out what part of the discussion you each will cover. Work as a team. That is just a quilter quality.

Shana I approached it differently My information was about "Choosing a Longarm Friend and Partner". I focused on educating not only on the process of the longarm quilter but what piecers should ask and know about the process. Kinda like a Hairdresser. I had the same one for over 16 years and I didn't like every haircut or color she did but I trusted her and over the years she knew before I did what I wanted. I am the kinda quilter who seeks out loyal customers rather than LOTS of customers. I would prefer 10 really good piecers that I can get to know what they like and want than to have 60 quilts hanging by those I don't really know. I do think of each customer as a potential longterm customer. I encourage piecers Not to "LONGARM HOP". Keeping a stable customer base allows me to spend time on quilts and fit in those that pay me well without complaint and know that I will fit them in whenever they need me. In other words we take care of each other. It works personally for me but this approach takes time as the quilts don't pour in like some like them to. Just sharing that. Sorry if I'm off subject.

Good Luck Pat. I know you can do it.

Hugs Grammie Tammie

Archived