Need your input-Mariner's Compass

Hi All,

I'm really stumped on this. My Dear Friend (AKA The Client) has graciously given me this quilt top to PPP on. Yes, I think she's a nutcase as well. :P There is a bit of feathered hearts drawn in white space between the compasses and feathered plumes in the 2 borders. The compasses are 24" across. Any suggestions you would have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Elita

2060546600105041459S425x425Q85.jpg

2209106110105041459S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm not so great at picking patterns, I seem to go back to circle type and pebbles and meandering..

I think this one would be very pretty to sid the centerm, the wee row of diamonds arond it and the large long spears with seaweed up each one. then cc on each of the smaller, white and burgundy(?). it would be a lot of ruler work, but imho be very pretty, too.

Good Luck.

RitaR

Elita,

For my 2 cents worth, I agree with Rita on the diamonds but I would do the pebbling in the center of each compass and maybe either crosshatching or wandering feathers in the white background, something to make those compasses pop out....hmmm, this would definately be a challenge but a fun challenge!

Vicki

To me the piecer did a lot of work on all those compass blocks so I like to let them shine. I prefer to just SID and stipple down the background areas so the compass shape really stands out. Of course if the area in the compass is too big you have to do some quilting in it and I prefer concentric lines or circles. I think feathers in the white would be really pretty.

Someone just posted a picture on here with a mariner's compass look. She did some different things in the spikes that were striking. Similar to rays in some and graduating single feather bumps from center to edge in some. Good luck with your practice.

I found the thread in the inspiration section. It is on page 2 by doodlebug

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=16124&page=2

Have fun!

Hi Ladies,

Yes, those compasses are pieced. That's part of what I meant by she's a nutcase. LOL

I also want to make them shine and had seen that post by doodlebug as well. Stunning work there. Great inspirational designs that I might be able to incorporate. I think I'm going to have to live with this one for a little while before I get started, doodle a bit & see what comes out. Will definitely post once it's done.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,

Elita

Archived