Memorial quilt, ideas please

Patty Jo thanks for posting those pictures, i love how you used the pockets on the front and back!

Sandy i'm so sorry to hear you lost your dad recently too. 200 Harley t-shirts would make an amazing memory quilt. Thanks for the hint about searching memory quilts on the forum.

Jane that is something that i miss too....my dad could explain the most complicated ideas in a very understandable way. Yes i know that brick road pattern, i have seen it done by a few guild members in flannels.

Kathy - I am sorry for you loss as well, I will say a prayer for you and your family..... I hope you will find peace in your memories and while working on your project.

I remember a great memorial project in some magazine, it was using Hawiian flowered shirts. This quilt had blocks that looked like little shirt fronts! Some had buttons down them too. Very cute!!! I think it just had 3 rows by 4 rows of blocks with plain fabric for the sashing and background. Some included the pockets too.....

On the label (on the back) she had included a photo of her late husband wearing one of the shirts.

I do commissioned Comfort Quilts and they are the best feel good quilts I have ever made. I learn about the person who's clothing they come from and do a custom panto of the different interest they had. I had one lady say that she didn't need to write a story as I quilted his life. She couldn't decide which kid got which and we worked out packages with ribbons and the ribbons matched the kleenex boxes.

Just because there will be different thickness of material does not limit your quilting. Raise the hopping foot and make memories. I have quite a few pictures in my comfort folders.

http://community.webshots.com/user/debbierealquilts

If you have questions, just email me and I will try to help.

Debbie

Kathy, so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad 2 1/2 yrs ago. I had mom save his work shirts for a quilt someday.

I just finished a memory quilt for my mom made from his blue chambry work shirts. I did a stack and slash mixed with other colorful materials. Then I told his story on the border by stitching the farm equip. and the outline of our house and barn, etc.

I hope I can post these pics. I had problems in the past, so here goes.

post--13461901754449_thumb.jpg

At first I don't think my mom wanted a quilt. She told me that I could have the shirts to make one for myself. Then when the time came, I had her help me make it and oh my, she kept having more ideas and wanting more equipment sewn on. Then she said, with a smile, that it would be mine after she was through with it. I thought that was awesome. I'm making one for my sister too.

So, Kathy, it may take some time for both of you, but it will be well worth it. You will both cherish if forever.

God Bless,

Kathy,

I, too, am so very sorry for your loss. ((((hug))))) When it's so sudden like that you don't have a chance to prepare and that, sometimes, leaves you with, "If only I had...". Take it from me, and I'm sure others, don't go there. Remember all the happy times, esp. when any negative thoughts creep in. Saving the ones with stains too, is great for recalling funy memories.

We lost our mother in 1968, I was 21, my sister 28 and our brother 12. I wish many times I could share my quilting with her. Dad passed in 1983. Both to cancer.

I wasn't quilting then so I didn't know about memorial quilts until 1991, when we lost our 22 yo son. Wish I'd saved our son's pink shirts that he always wore for dates with his fiancee. But, I do have some of the others I saved after a friend told me about memory quilts. I haven't been able to bring them out and make the quilt but it will happen, maybe this year.

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Thank you Heidi, Judi and Debbie for your thoughts.

Mary-Lou the pictures are great and i love your story about your mom keeping 'your' quilt. I know i definately want to personalize my quilts...Dad was a chemist ( not sure how to incorperate that into a quilt) but i think his love of his cottage and nature will be the focus of the quilts i do.

Marlette you are so right about the 'if only i had...." thoughts that fill your head, i'm trying my best to not do that. I hope when you are able to work on your son's quilt that it will bring back happy memories.

Thank you Kathy for you kind thoughts.

If you do want to incorporate some chemist theme in your quilt you could always freehand some beakers, flasks, bunsen burner and element symbols from the periodic table. It might be kind of interesting to see those motifs among leaves and flowers just to illustrate his profession.

Men identify with their chosen profession a lot. I didn't realize just how much until my husband retired from his group practice 2 yrs ago.

Kathy, sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my Dad in Feb 2008 to Cancer, so I know how you feel. It does get easier, but ........... Keep smiling girl, and remember all the good time you had with your Dad.

Anyway, I made this little Memory Quilt for my Dad a few years ago for his 80th birthday. The outer blocks are all embroidery, except the one in the bottom right corner and that is a picture of my Dad's farm, the centre is all applique. I did this little top before I had a longarm and was still fairly new to quilting. It gives you another idea for a Memory Quilt. Another suggestion might be to use some of your Dad's old neckties......

There are so many ideas out there...............

post--1346190178892_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo Kerry. My dad grew up on a farm in southern Manitoba.

I can relate to a lot of the stories posted here. My dad had cancer, the first tumor was removed in the fall but they found out this spring it had spread to his liver and lungs my parents but didn't tell anyone it returned. That never slowed him down and he died of a massive heart attack while mowing the lawn. I now look at it as his way of beating the cancer.

Archived