stitching over picture quilt?

Hi! Someone brought me a tee shirt quilt that also has some pictures on it. The costomer said they did not want stitching over the pictures. They measure about 8x10. I know from reading on here, you shouldn't leave that big of space, but also, we are using a pantograph on it. (alfresco) (flowers). so I at least talked her into stitching on the pictures.I am just using a cream color thread, sewfine. Is the panto going to ruin the picture? You can't really stop a panto, can you for the picture? does anyone have any pictures of one that they have done? I DON"T want to ruin this pic!! Should I just run the panto up to it and just stitch around the pic? thanks for the help! linda

Find a batting that will allow for 10-12 inch spaces (the new batting that is Green plastic recycled bottles comes to mind first.)...and use that along with a fluffier poly. I've done this with a couple and it was pretty successful. The fluffy batting kept the open spaces from looking wierd after it was washed, and the rest was just mashed down.

So your saying you would stop the quilting at the picture and not quilt over it? Problem with the batting...she brought it and it 's that cotton stuff from joann fabrics. I'm not home right now to look at the name of it.. I think it's the fairfield stuff!! AAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!:o

You will have a mess unless you find a batting that gives you a space allowance of at least that big....or when you wash it they whole thing is going to be a huge mussy pile of yuck.

Without a picture I am assuming that she has a block that is a picture and there is some sort of sashing between the photos....I would quilt as close as possible to the phots and then hope for the best. She is giving you a possible train wreck and I would talk with her about it...she isn't going to like the way it turns out with that Fairfield batting. UNLESS she brought you the new cotton/poly batting they have now...and if that is what she has I would just add the fluffy stuff on top and hope for the best.

Memory quilts that you don't want the photos run across I personally think should be kept at 4-6 inches square....when you are getting into the 8x10 size you have nothing to support the open areas with. That's where the fluffy stuff comes in. I also hope she is sort of planning this to be a wall hanging....to be used as a bed quilt it will be okay for a few weeks, but with time depending on how she prepared the photos they could start to crack and peel off.

This is a big quilt. 92x92! There are only a few pictures in it. I don't know what the girl will be using it for. I am assuming just on her bed at college. I think I should talk to her about the batting. This is a quilt that my customer has made for someone else. (She has made it for HER customer.)

I saw a small photo quilt at Merrily"s (LQS) Thursday with 8 X 10 pitures and they had outlined the main feature on each picture. exmple: around the bride & groom. They didn't use a very fluffy batting, but it looked pretty good with a minimal amount of quilting in a neutral thread. You can panto around the pictures. You just have to keep in mind what you're doing and tape off the area on your panto when you get to that area of the quilt.

If it's a quilt that will be washed it should be even all over. I think the whole point of a panto is that it runs non-stop? Once the whole thing is complete I don't think it would be especially noticeable if the pics had quilting on - just uniform.

Archived