big boo boo

while putting on my zippers last night I got down to the end of one zipper and got a little too close AND HIT THE ZIPPER!! Well everything went out. I had blown a fuse. Okay so I replaced the fuse and tried to finish the leader. there was a clunking noise in the bobbin. Not good. took out the needle and bobbin and couldnt see anything. put in a new needle and tried again. this time the white button for needle up and down works but the green button does not work it won't move in SR or manual mode. what now!!!

I can't even fix it today as I had to come to work. I imagine that Amy is at MQS and won't be available anyway, so I guess I am going to have to wait till I can talk to someone while at home. I think it needs to be retimed but don't know why the green button is now dead.

Jeanne,

Oh I'm so sorry that this happened. I'm sure if you call APQS somebody is there that can help. If not Amy or Mark won't be far away!!!!! I'm actually glad that I did my zippers when I did. It was the absolute first thing I sewed with my LA and I was too stupid to think or know that I could have problems like this!!!!! I think I would have been in a panic if I had thought that could happen!

tHANKS TO Amy we are all better now. Just incase this happens to you . If your green button is not working in SR or manual mode, make sure your SR dial is not set to zero. I don't know if it got bumped or if I turned it the wrong way not thinking, but Amy told me to check it and make sure it wasn't on zero and in fact it was. So My Little Miss Lenni is all better now with her new zippers in place. Thank you Amy. I rushed home to check and have time enough to call again if needed, but not need.

Glad to hear you are back in business. I know how upsetting it is when you do something like that and I think you feel even worse when you know it is because of something you did yourself (ask me how I know this?;)).

I'm one of the ones who bought zippers with her machine and has yet to put them on - maybe now I'll let them age for another year....

I'm glad it was an easy fix.

I bought the zippers at MQX, too, and put them on when I first got home, but wondered if I would really use them. I sewed the one side to my leaders, and I'm pinning the other side to the fabric. So far, I am pinning directly to the zippers, but I like the idea of the gros grain ribbon to "save" the zippers. Unlike most people with the zippers, I prefer to stand at my machine to pin them on. I guess I just got used to doing it that way onto my leaders, and now I don't like sitting to pin to my quilt.

I did like being able to zip on a practice piece and then zip it off and zip on my "real" quilt. They also helped me when a bit of frogging was needed. Unzip; frog;re-zip.

Thanks girls for all your help and sympathy, it certainly is upsetting to think you may have damaged your machine. I had trouble to sleep all night worrying if I had killed her. I was comforted by the fact that so many other people have had trouble and always got their babies fixed without too much trouble. So I was safe in knowing that whatever I had done was not going to be permanent. Now to actually get a quilt on those zippers and give them a try.

Archived