changing needles

Each time I change the needle on my Millennium it takes 30-45 minutes to get it straight enough so the thread doesn't break & I can get to quilting. A lady from our guild found a gadget at a quilt show (a small magnet-type thingy) that she says works really slick for this. However, she doesn't remember where she got it or even what the name of the gizmo is. Does anyone out there have any information on this for me? thanks!

Haven't a clue what she has, but the trick for me is to stick a pin into the eye as you are inserting it into the needle bar. As you hold the needle up into the bar with the pin you are adjusting it to where you need it to set....mine is set so the eye is slightly turned. And then with the other hand I tighten the needle bar screw. It shouldn't take you more than maybe 3 minutes to change a needle...

I'm with Bonnie. The only thing that I would add is to change the needle set screw so that the screwdriver is in your dominant hand. Being right handed, it made such a difference when I put the screw on the right side of the needle bar. Also, use a screwdriver with a longer handle so that you can tighten it up. My initial mind set was little tiny screw, therefore small screwdriver. Those 2 changes have really sped things up for me.

I also set my needle eye with a pin so that the eye of the needle is turned slightly to my left. If you think of the front of the needle as being like a clock face, where straight on would be 6 o'clock, mine is set for about 6:35. Just slightly towards the left.

Originally posted by BethDurand

I'm with Bonnie. The only thing that I would add is to change the needle set screw so that the screwdriver is in your dominant hand. Being right handed, it made such a difference when I put the screw on the right side of the needle bar. Also, use a screwdriver with a longer handle so that you can tighten it up. My initial mind set was little tiny screw, therefore small screwdriver. Those 2 changes have really sped things up for me.

I also set my needle eye with a pin so that the eye of the needle is turned slightly to my left. If you think of the front of the needle as being like a clock face, where straight on would be 6 o'clock, mine is set for about 6:35. Just slightly towards the left.

OMG, I didn't know you could do that!

Ditto the pin trick...someone posted about using a toothpick so as not to cause a dent in the needle but the pick broke :( So it's back to a pin for me.

Just to reiterate how different all machines are I've played w/the eye position and my baby likes it directly at 6 o'clock. :P

Wow! Looks like everyone is using the pin trick. Myself, I use my thumb nail to set my needle. Seems to work every time and I set mine at 6 o'clock on both my machines. In fact, I have been setting needles at 6 o'clock since I started timing machines. I've only found a few that need to be set otherwise. Regards, zeke.............

Archived