Matching thread to the top or bottom???

I'm really hoping that you gals can help me out on a beast of a quilt I'm currently doing. It is a 5 point star, super queen, a wonky uneven mess. Now after spending what seems like hours getting it pinned on and using the amazing starch and steam technique i have finally started quilting. It is Muslin on the back white and blue on the top, 100% cotton batting. The star is all dark blues, background around the star is all white. I have used white in the bobbin and top for the background quilting because it is all white, but what should I use for the star. If I use blue on the star, which would look best I have been struggling with the tension and not having the blue show on the underneath. Uggh...so pick pick pick...so now, do I use blue in the bobbin and blue on top as I do the star or white in both? I guess my question is, after venting all of this, how do we dicide which thread to use when there is a white back and a dark top.

Thank for any help, this one has had me really wondering about my ability to keep doing this.

Tracie in Idaho

Yes, you can do this. You are just having a baptism by fire. A test of how much do you want to do this and you do and you CAN.

Recently on a Pam Clarke video I heard her say she matches to the top, it creates a pretty whole cloth on the back and makes your life much easier. I don't even pretend that I have the quality that Pam does, but it makes sense to me that you match the top. Having said all of that I'm sure there will be a variety of responses and all of them are correct. It is finding what works for you.

Truely, all you have to do is breathe. Stand up, stretch, smile; laugh out loud and keep chanting.I know I can, I know I can.

Supportively,

Abigail

Even if you have a few wobbles, they will not affect the overall appearance. I have been very pleased when doing a sharply contrasting color on the backing. I love how it looks, have used burgundy on musling, navy on white. Starts and stops are a bit more noticeable, but you can do it!

Here is a pic of the back of one that I like:

post--13461901858494_thumb.jpg

Thank you all so much! I thought this after thinking on it ALL NIGHT but wanted to check with you experts. This is a beautiful quilt with loads of problems, I am learning so much on this one...and like Abigail says, I need to laugh and keep telling myself I can do this!!

I love the backs of quilts. I will make thread selections according to design, batting & tension issues. The thinner the batting, the more likely I will be to match the bottom to the top. When you add an additional color on the back - it just creates something new and wonderful especially if you have a plain backing! Take a Mariners Star with a plain black backing ........... Lots of thread changes to work in the various top sections - match all the threads top/bottom. Once done, turn it over and you will have this wonderful design of colors on the back - I just love it!!! Now you have to decide which side you like better!!!:D

Archived