tensiontrouble

Anne Que

Dear all,

I have my Millenium for over a year now but I still have trouble with the tension. I bought a Towa Tension Gauge for the bobbin tension. At first it seemed to solve all my problems. But you don't want to know how much time I spend with adjusting and re-adjusting the tension. I use King Tut on top and So Fine in the bobbin and when I finally get the tension right I do hardly dare to change treads because it will take me hours to make lovely stitches. I made whole outlines with how many times I have to turn the toptensiondisc clockwise from King Tut to Lava to Rainbows etc. Not that it works, sometimes my machine seems to have a mind of its own. When I have to make a customers quilt I am always nervous whether I will get the tension right. How does everyone do it???!! What am I doing wrong? I love to quilt but I sometimes hate my machine!

Anne Que

Anne,

Don't be too hard on yourself. King Tut and Rainbows can be very difficult to use. I pretty much use So Fine all the time, just because it is easy to use. I'm sure others will have lots of advice for you. Check out Dawn's blog to see what she says about the problems you are having, I'm sure she has somthing that will help you. I just wanted to pop in and tell you not to give up.

Thank you Mary Beth, and yes Shana, I was just about to ask where the blog was. And you know what, in march 2009 she had a whole discussion of tension trouble. Which really reassured me a bit, knowing that there are more of you out there struggling with the same problems.

I did not know by the way, that you can use So Fine on top as well! I thought it was too thin. Why is it easier to use than say Lava?

Anne

Hi Anne,

I will jump in here! Both BottomLine and So Fine are thin, very strong poly threads that are my favorites--both on top and in the bobbin. They are perfect for the quilts that need texture but maybe not extra color added.

The neutrals (cream, taupe, gray, sage-y green, even gold) can match so many busy prints and also will not overwhelm contrasting fabrics. If I am using taupe on the top and have a lighter backer, I will use cream in the bobbin and the thinness of the thread and some tweaking of the tension will let you use those contrasting colored threads easily. I use BottonLine pre-wound bobbins almost exclusively and feel spoiled by the good results I get--whether I use a thin thread on top, or King Tut or Signature.

Just my experience and opinion.:cool:

Ann,

I wonder if you have tried a new bobbin case? I ask this because I had trouble with the bobbin case that came with my machine. No matter what I did I couldn't get the bobbin thread to not lay flat on the back. I loosened the bobbin and tightened the top and notta. I had placed an order about 7 weeks after getting my machine for a couple of spare bobbin cases. Well all of a sudden I no longer had the problem! Recently I pulled that bobbin case out to give it another try since after all I'd had my machine now for 1 1/2 years. Well it was clearly the bobbin case because again I had the same problem!

Thank you for the advice. The lesson from Dawn Cavanaugh is really helpfull. It gave me a lot of courage, I hope it will last. I will absolutely try to use So Fine on top, there are such lovely colours! And it also has a bit cottonlike feeling. I did also change my bobbincase, maybe it all helped a litte, today I have lovely stitches!

Thanks again

Anne

Archived