Just think about this

I LOVE reading this forum. I have learned so much about using quilting as a design element and there are so many tips about thread, batting, etc . I also love the positive attitudes and caring exhibited toward one another. It's remarkable! :)

I am a long arm wannabe and know this is a long arm forum. However, on a yahoo group I read the subject came up as to how there are no real instructional DVDs for the MANY women who are using a 9 inch machine, such as a Juki or Brother, on a smaller frame. There are DVDs/videos for machine quilting on a domestic sewing machine, but not for the short arm/frames. I have no idea how much work, time, and money it takes to produce an instructional video, but I think there is a real market for the quilters using these 9 inch machines. It would be SO COOL to see what you pros would do with a short arm as far as different designs, feathers, borders, etc. in a limited space. I know a lot of the long arm techniques can be carried over somewhat, but there's nothing like seeing someone using the same setup/space.

Just something that's been going through my head... I hope you don't mind me bringing up the topic of shortarm quilters. if anyone ever decides to do this, I'll be the first in line to buy! ;) Laura

I quilted on a 9 inch dsm on a pennywinkle frame for a while. My interest in machine quilting really grew and so...I bought my millennium. I went from 3 inches quilting area to 18 inches. I found I could do stippling and ribbon candy and other simple designs...but nothing else. Just didn't have the room to 'play'.

When I teach machine quilting on domestic machines I suggest they buy the longarm DVD'. Not every pattern will work but most do and they are all much better thought out than the books designed for DSM quilters. So far everyone who has taken this advice has been very happy with it.

Ferret

I originally had a Grandquilter on a Grace frame, which I used for approx one year, but outgrew it soooo quickly. Just not enough space for me to do the things I wanted to do. BUT, DSM do have their place and should be enjoyed to the fullest. I watched any video I could find on line, and just adapted it to my DSM. You can find some free videos on the Gammill site with great instructions by Linda V. Taylor, as well as videos on the APQS site with Fons and Porter and friends, and yes, there are videos on YouTube that you can enjoy as well. Have fun!

Archived