Edgerider Wheels

I recently purchase Edgerider wheels for my Millenium, but I am having lots of problems. The latest is this: I have all the upper wheels on, and have moved to the carriage wheels. Got the first one on and moved on to replace the wheel with the channel lock. On the upper wheels, I was able to use the original bolts, but this one is not long enough. It looks like I have to take the brake apart in order to insert a longer bolt. Can this be right? I am using five washers under the wheel as instructed. When I put one washer on top of the wheel I am out of bolt and no thread left to remount to bar.

Can you get by using less washers? I know I had some problem with the bolt not being long enough. I will have to run upstairs to see what I did. Mine are on a Freedom SR, so I don't know if that will make a difference.

Okay...I only have 4 washers on mine.

DH and I (mainly DH) did mine a few weeks ago on my Millennium and yes, I think he had to take everything apart. There was one place I know he added washers. I tried counting but the washers are too small and I just can't see to count them. We raised my machine at the same time and I don't remember if that was why but we did need to buy longer bolts. If you do, I suggest taking the bolt and nut with to make sure you get the same thread size - it's not a HomeDepot common thread count (even though they gave me what they said was correct - it wasn't). Good luck. DH is gone now or I'd ask him for addl info.

Thanks to all for the input. I'm not sure I can get by with less washers, but will give it a try. I have plenty of longer bolts that were supplied with the wheels; just can't remove the original bolt that is tucked up under the brake. One of the pre-drilled wheels was off a little and the gear rubs in spots when it turns. I am being sent a replacement wheel, but want to be ready to put it in when it arrives. For the time being, I guess I should enjoy the unscheduled vacation. Hope these wheels prove to be worth the aggravation!

Yes you do have to take the channel locks/encoders off, but...

You should have received 2 longer bolts in the package they sent you.

Should have been 8 bolts total.

The 2 longer ones go on the wheels that have the black box's attached to those wheels.

Make sense?

Somewhere on this site, I posted pics.

You will need MACHINE THREADED bolts and the thread needs to run the full length of the bolt. I got mine at ACE Hardware. Home Depot did not carry them and sent me to a hardware store that carries more speciallty hardware. Some of the bolts are only partially threaded and won't work. I think I needed 2" lengths. The ER's are thicker than the APQS wheels. If you have the CQ, you will need several other adjustments.

I have been trying to install my edgeriders to my Millennium as well. When the instructions state that 3 or 5 washers need to be used on the wheel, does that completely exclude all the APQS washers so that only the one included with the edgerider wheels are used? I have changed the rear encoder and I do have to say it was a pain. HOpe it is worth the fuss.

Sandra:(

Well, I am finally back in business. I had to have one of my predrilled wheels replaced which took several days, but I finished getting it back together this morning and did my first quilt. I used the instructions as a guide and adjusted where I needed to; just made sure everything was level when I was done. I DO have to say it was worth the trouble. It glides like butter. I should add, though, that my machine is 5 years old and had the brown wheels on it. When the black wheels came out 6 months later I just couldn't justify buying them at that time. Hubby is out of town this week, so hopefully I can make a lot of progress on my back log!

Archived