Organ Needles vs MR's

I just received my order from Joh Mitchell at Countrylane Quilting and John was kind enough to include a package of Organ Needles for me to try out. He said that the Manufacturer said they have a smaller point than MR's and will therefore leave a smaller hole.

I finished my first Quilt with them yesterday, using a 3.5 Organ Needle, Maxiloc Swirls on top and prewound bottomline below.

I found that the needle seems to be "finer" than the MR, because and I seem to have a better stitch definition than I do with MR perhaps because of the smaller needle point. i had no breakage or fraying of thread eventhough I went at great speed.

I will definately purchase Organ brand needles in the future once my supply of MR's is exhausted. The timing does not have to be adjusted, they are in every way the same except have a smaller "head" for a better word.

Has anyone else tried them? Do you like or dislike them?

Have a trial from John too, will need a little time to get a large quilt finished, started babysitting grand daughter 11 hr. days, her house, hence lots less time to quilt:( John had thought they would work well, I'm glad quilters on the forum are trialing them, real stitching experiences will be the true test;)

Will try to get to this soon, Pat

Hi Caroline, the ones I got from Joh are called Organ Needles and are size 100/16 (3.5) and the part number is DPX134-SK1.

The Quilt I finished with that needle seems to0 have the stitches "sitting on top" if that makes any sense, especially since I used a thin thread.

If you talk to John I am sure he can recommend the right needle for you. He is a book of knowledge!

Thanks for the input on the Organ needles. Organ is one of the largest needle manufactures and many DSM are delivered with Organ needles. There might be a bit of confusion, the reason they leave a smaller hole is that do not have that big hump on the front of the needle. When APQS switched to the MR needles (This comes from Mark Caraher) they wanted the deep scarf (easier to time and less skipped stitches) at this time stitch regulators were in the future and quilters especially newbies tended to over drive their machine and flex the needle into the hook and break it. The MR has that big hump and it is stronger in that area. If you are a skilled quilter you do not need to worry about overdriving your machine. I have more Organ needles and am including a package with each order of 100 MR’s to try out (until my current stock is gone). I am planning on stocking them for our clients. My needle supplier (they specialize in needles) tells me that with in a year my clients will only want the Organ needles. I plan on ordering several thousand in the near future.

If you would like a free sample package you just need to order some MR's. I am still offering free shipping on orders over $50 and have the MQS sale still on. If you would like to purchase a pkg of 10 that is OK also.

If anyone wants more information just give send me an email or call.

John

I only use ORGAN needles on my DSM and my Industrial Embroidery machine. My only question is "are they titanium coated, etc". When I took the maintenance course, John told me not to use titanium needles because of the way they break?

I used the sample from John on the Lone Star with feathers and I like them very much. The holes were less noticable. Mine were the 110/18 s.

The Titanium needles break higher up the shaft than uncoated needles, sending a larger piece into the bobbin case area when they break. Longer pieces equal more chance of damage to the machine.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally finished the quilt last weekend that I've had on my frame for a month. I put on a charity quilt tonight. I put in one of the Organ needles John Mitchell sent to me (for free :))and I did the entire baby/child quilt without a hitch. I couldn't tell the difference between the Organ needles and the ones I had been using.

Thank you, John!

I received some from John also and I really liked them so I ordered the package of 100! I like to be able to replace needles at will and not have to worry about having enough!

John was very helpful and knowledgable about this product-he is very nice to order from.

I am sorry I bought the 100 MR's from John as I am sooooo enjoying the Organ Needles. I still have the first one in my machine, I have 14 Quilts with that same needle, going from Cotton thread Polyester and yesterday did a Quilt in Lava with that same 3.5 needle, all without a hitch. I am either becoming a super good machine Quilter, not yet likely, or my Freedom and the Organ Needle are a winning combination.

Archived