HELP!!!! Need suggestions quick!!

I stayed home today to finish a quilt that is probably going to be entered in the fair. It is this quilters second quilt; not excellent, but quite nice. Its 73" square and the batting was 83" in one direction. I squared it up and mounted it, mounted the quilt and am almost at the bottom.

Now comes the problem...you guessed it: I'm about 3" short on the backing fabric. There is enough on the sides that I could take it off and piece another section to the bottom. But...do I do that? Do I call my customer first? Do I give her the quilt for free or at a discount? HELP!!!!!

Chocolate...I need TEQUILA!! Actually, I'm going to eat some lunch and then call her. Its too bad her back isn't a really busy fabric instead of a solid. I just measured and I would have only had about 1" to spare on the top/bottom with what she gave me. So now I'll have to be tactful, too...

The good thing is that I actually did alot for her (washed her backing and actually ran the batting through a rinse cycle because she didn't want much shrinkage). She told me how nice she thought I was...think I'll remind her of that before I start talking:D

Thanks for the advice and help Heidi....

No freebies. This is her 2nd quilt so consider the beginner customer she should have given you a larger backing, especially if it was getting washed, first. I wouldn't worry about this too much. Don't freak out over the phone or give excuses or blame yourself... just give her the facts (that you washed it per her instructions and during the washing + quilting process the backer fabric shrunk) then tell her the best option would be for you to take a piece off the side and stitch it on the bottom.

Remain calm.

Eat a chocolate.

Give her a call.

Finish the quilt.

Have a marg.

And remember... you are a good person

:cool:

If she is going to enter it in the fair she will need a hanging sleeve on the back so maybe the sleeve will cover up the seam for the piece of backing that is pieced in and no one will ever know except you and the lady that made the quilt. I've never put a hanging sleeve on so don't know how many inches high one would be, but expect it would go the entire width of the quilt.

Dory

If it is going in a fair she will likely have to have a sleeve on it to hang, so if you are lucky enough to have that be the top of the quilt there you go it will be under the sleeve and wont show anyway. just an idea make the sleeve for her instead of a discount.

Thank you for the suggestion of covering a seam with the sleeve., I'm going to post this next to my frame as I know I will need it at some point. My best friend, love her dearly, cannot conceive of "extra" when it comes to backs, I know at some point it will get me, and now I know what to say:D

Pat

Archived