New uses for batting scraps

I have been wondering what to do with all the scraps of batting I am accumulating... believe me I didn't know what a real dust bunny was until I set up my machine and started quilting, especially with cotton batting and thread in combo... Well, I've had smaller real bunnies eating my fllowers when we lived on the hill. So want to do... I tried the Cotton Theary stuff but was so totally bored by all the line stitching I gave up on that...next was pot holders, but actually this isn't the right batting for that application... so I eyed my swiffer and WA~:D LA cheap and totally usuable new swiffer covers!! My studio floor is laminate and this combo works great!!

That's true and a good idea if I had the time. I do give a lot of the scraps to a local teacher and she finds other uses for them in her classroom. I also

give her a lot of fabric scraps I have left over from piecing...She provides the glue and the kids do the rest I guess, she is a Kindergarden teacher.

Our group uses the scraps by sewing them (butted) together and having them available for charity quilts. If carefully sewn, the seams don't show except if you use a light weight,light color, cotton solid. (Which doesn't happen often!) We try to get donated large pieces for the backs, so the whole thing only costs us thread, little enough. Really small pieces go into the stuffed animals that sometimes go with a quilt in a pocket, or the quillow type of quilt.

Great idea, Shar! I have a commercial vinyl floor and I swiffer it several times a day. I just love recycling, and I can save money on the swiffer cloths. I do save the large pieces for charity quilts and practice pieces. The smaller pieces I cut up and give to my husband for gun cleaning wadding.

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

You could also use them to stuff bedding for the Humane Society or local pet shelter. Often I am given fabric that is not suitable for quilting. I make it into a form and use the batting as stuffing. These are always welcome by the shelters. The ASPCS sells some of the nicer/prettier ones at a minimum cost as a starter bed for new pet owners.

Archived