question about beginners class

Well, I had/have a wonderful dealer. Patty Butcher, and we are getting ready now to go visit her. I can't wait. She has already been more than helpful anytime I have had a question - she has been right there. I feel very lucky indeed. Sorry others have had a difficult time. Just my thoughts but I found RUNNING the machine to be pretty much like my DSM. Now, quilting out treasures - that's a different story.

Lynn,

I agree with Mary Beth. I took the 1st beginners class with the dealer in KC. Waste of my time. But thankfully I had the opportunity to stop in at Des Moines and Dawn walked me thru it again - 100% improvement. Well worth the drive to Des Moines to take it up there as you will probably feel much more confident in yourself and what you can do.

Hi Everyone!

If there's one thing I've learned in my 16 years as a longarm quilter, it's that you never stop learning! There is always something new to discover in quilting, whether it be a new technique, a different way to load a quilt, or even a unique way to store thread!

We are so lucky that the industry (and technology...thank you Internet!) has grown to the point where quilters around the globe can and DO share with each other. We've come a long way from the dark ages of longarm quilting when people like Marilyn Badger, Linda Taylor, Pam Clarke, Marcia Stevens and I bought our machines and received three pieces of advice as our instruction and "education"-- "Staple on the fabric, tighten it until the pick up roller bends, and never touch the tension...it's factory set!"

All of those early quilters taught themselves how to accomplish fabulous things with a wondrous machine straight out of the decorator's workrooms called a "longarm".

Now jump ahead two decades, and you can find videos, books, classes and even week-long seminars devoted entirely to machine quilting. What a wonderful world we live in; thank goodness those early longarm pioneers decided to "share" what they learned instead of leaving "every man for himself".

Education continues to be a top priority for APQS. We know that without it, your longarm is "just another sewing machine." For example, we've moved from those early manuals that simply included schematics of wiring and a single page on quilt loading to a manual over 220 pages long that includes detailed photos, exercises, and user-friendly maintenance. In expanding the manual, we wanted to provide every quilter with the basic knowledge she needs to quilt a project, even if she were never able to take a "beginner class" from someone else.

However, we know that the learning curve is steep, so we strive to offer extended training past the manual and CD through "beginner" courses offered through our dealer network across the world. As we continue to build our dealer network, that also means training them as educators as well as service persons. As they grow and learn as APQS dealers, they will be able to offer more and more services to their individual customers.

Along with the classes offered at our "corporate headquarters" in Iowa and through dealers, here are some additional plans in the works to help expand the education sector for all APQS customers:

[*] APQS Channel on YouTube--watch for videos being added regularly on a variety of topics, from burying threads to loading a quilt. We are working toward creating a "video library" of sorts on this channel so that you can have easy access to techniques 24 hours a day

[*] Maintenance Videos on the Website--while you'll be stuck watching good ol' me as the "star", I'm working on videos such as timing, cleaning, tension, and other topics related to machine maintenance as another resource for you beyond our great technical support team of Amy and Christy.

[*] Classes at national shows across the country--We will continue to offer courses specifically geared toward APQS owners at venues like MQS, MQX, Innovations, and others, so that you can one-stop-shop and learn at the same time!

[*] Naturally, this forum contains a wealth of education every single day. Be sure to check it often, and share a tip when YOU figure out a new way to do something:)

We certainly want to provide the best customer service we possibly can. Send me an email or give me a call with any of your ideas concerning advancing or improving our educational process. If you are having trouble regarding a class, let me know that as well.

I look forward to learning from you, and with you, and sharing more of this wonderful thing called quilting!

Dawn,

I am looking forward to seeing you "star" in the instructional videos. I think this is a wonderful idea, being able to see how something is done as well as being able to read the manual. I always do better when I can watch how something is done. I hope that APQS will continue to expand classes at the large regional shows outside the mid-west.

Sue

Archived