Fabric Bleeding

The Last Stitch

I am working on a customer quilt and have marked it with blue marker. I have permission from the maker to wet the quilt with a spray bottle to remove the blue marker. When I did some of the yellow and purple fabric bleed. What do I do???????????? It is the most expensive job I have ever done. It was looking like it would turn out to be one of my best jobs yet. I was planning on asking if I could take it to MQS. I even encouraged the piecer that she might want to consider entering it at Paducah. What do I do??????????????

Well first off call her to let her know what is happening. Then you can talk it out and get to a game plan. If she didn't wash the fabric before she made the quilt I would finish the quilt but not use the spray bottle to get out the markers but a damp sponge. When she gets it back I would suggest washing it in a front loader with synthapol soap and dye catchers. It may take several washings to get it all out.

Now if she has washed the fabrics I would pretty much handle it the same, once you have bleeding fabrics it hard to stop them, but I would stop using the spray bottle until you can get the WHOLE quilt wet at once. You will have a better chance of controlling the bleeding in the washer.

I remember Jessica Brunnemer telling us that if she fears some fabric will bleed, she dampens a sponge and brushes lightly to remove the blue marks.

I think if your customer is going to put this in a show she will most likely want to block it first and in order to block it to get it laying flat and square so she will have to get the quilt wet anyway. So, tell her to use a dye magnet or wash in synthropol as Heidi suggested when she wets/washes the quilt.

Don dye catchers are found in the grocery store laundry isle. I think Shout makes some and there is another company too, maybe the Clorox makers. They are sold in a box and should be right with the other laundery items. Synthrapol (key to get out the excess dye) can be found at most LQS and sometimes at places like Michaels. You can easily order it online too.

Archived