closing up batik holes

I had to rip out a 54" X 2" wide stitched design on a batik border. I have restitched a different design leaving holes that did not close. I spritzed the entire area. The backing holes closed (not batik) but not the batik holes. Any suggestions?? I have re-spritzed the holes for now. Also, on the same quilt I used Quilters Dream Blend natural batting 70/30. The dark green backing is lower quality fabric and there is a lot of bearding. The top is light colored with the dark backing, how do you decide which color batting to use in a case like this, and what can I do about bearding?? Thanks. Lu Ann

LuAnn, since you are new, I would recommend that you "search" for past threads on this topic. There is a wealth of information about batiks, such as this thread:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=18034&page=1#pid208592

To find more, click on "search", enter words like "batik" batik holes, etc. and be sure to choose a time frame like "since the beginning" or a month or year ago. It's easy and you can read all night. Good luck!:D

Good adviced above, also, if it is not a large area, I have found that after spritzing the area, just scrub back and forth with your finger nail and this helps those threads to move back together again, this sometimes works, sometimes not - depends on the fabric. I tried using a smaller needle but found that it broke more easily so I still just use the 4.0 size.

Thanks Bonnie, makes me feel better and I did some head thumping as well on my last quilt. I actually removed the stitching in the batik border 3 times in one area so it was looking like a war zone, however, she loved it when I gave the quilt to my customer last night and you couldn't see any needle holes! Yeah :)

Archived