I have searched for this topic and cannot find any info. Hopefully I am posting this message in the right place. My leaders are "drawing in" or shrinking. I have tried to stretch them, but I must not be doing it correctly because it doesn't seem to help. I tried tugging on one side and then the other - Is this a two person job?? Then I tried matching all of the centers up with the front roller, but not sure that was the correct move since the front roller also has issues. HELP!!

Mary Beth

Hi Mary Beth,

Funny that's my name too but modified it after grade school since I didn't like the teasing!

I'm having a problem with my Leaders stretching in the center and shrinking on the ends........doesn't seem like the most reliable material as it likes to it's own thing.............;)

I'll be interested to follow this thread and see what the trick is, I have an old Ult. II so everything is sort of wonky.

M. Beth

Seattle

Mine have become distorted as well. I have been adding hems as I go along. I'm due for another hemming soon. I use the channel lock, stitch a straight line and then fold and hem. I keep telling myself I'm going to purchase some new and heavier canvas and replace them, but haven't taken the time. Maybe one day.

Kay

I have had that problem in the past. I too have done the hemming trick which works quite well. But after I got tired of hemming again and again, (and I installed zippered leaders which made it more difficult to keep hemming) I started to mount small quilts on one end of the table or the other so that the leaders there would get stretched like the middle does after so many quilts. If I'm careful to give the left end & the right end equal time with the middle of the leaders, it seems they all stretch a little and stay somewhat even.

Since I have marked and numbered the inches on the edge of each leader it makes it easy to mount quilts anywhere on the leaders.

This is just what works for me and has helped me to do less hemming of leaders.;)

Thanks for listening.

Pam Geary

Okay, Mary Beth is short for Mary Elizabeth - my first grade teacher shortened my name to Mary Beth, my brother is about the only person besides you all that call me that, but I like it. ;)

I just remembered that a friend told me about her leaders. She was trying to stretch the canvas back into shape and ripped them - ouch:(:mad:! Can you imagine needing to get a quilt done for a customer and tearing your leader? She purchased Sumbrella and attached that to her rollers. She said it is a bit costly, but is doesn't stretch or tear. I have looked it up and I think it is a marine type fabric, and it runs about $15/yrd. it might be worth it if you never have to replace it.

I haven't heard of that fabric but it sounds terrific! I've been rolling something around in my head to attach to the rollers like a track and then you just put pins on the edge of the quilt and slide it thru the track so the only real pulling is on the quilt it self....... I have an old poster frame that works like that.

Just Brain Storming. ;)

Mary Elizabeth..........I went to a school where everyone's first name was either Mary or Catherine........as you can imagine, Mary Kay, Mary Pat, Mary Francis etc~ I so wanted to stop being a "Mary" that now I'm just beth.

Glad to hear this isn't just an old machines problem!

Hi evereyone

Over time the leaders can stretch so it is a good idea every months or so to get one [person at one end and another at the other end and gently tug a little to bring them back into shape.

Something else that creates a bowing of the canvas is when the backing is on too tight and this stretches canvas like a banana.

To check the tension on your backing put your finger under the backind, batting and top sandwich and from the top with the other hand, try to grab the tip of your finger - the backing is not too tight!. I also look underneath the backing and it should not be "dead" straight, there should be slight give in it.

Hope this helps

Sue in Australia

Thanks Sue, I will try the test to make sure my backing is not too tight. I don't think it is, but I will make sure, just to be on the safe side. I don't have the "banana effect", the leader edges are just not straight. They look like each layer is smaller and smaller, on both ends. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will try it. I'll get my PR man;), aka my DH in here to start tugging.

Beth, I always thought my name sounded so - Saintly - I have yet to convince anyone of that;)

Here is my imput:

I bought my machine used. I worked with the owner at a sewing shop. She

had this machine for 2 years. We took off the old leaders because they

were stretched-out and wavy.

We replaced them with a type of canvas called "Ducking" that we bought

at our local Jo-Anns. Cheap enough price - use your 40 or 50% coupon

(plus additional 10% for being an AQS member) not a bad deal! I can't

recall the price but it was worth it! We serged (sp?) the sides and sewed

the zippers on. Pulled off the old ones (which were glued) and just used

duct tape to attach the new ones. Just follow the seam of the metal roller

with the straight edge of your new leader.

I will say that these are now starting to sag and seem to have "shrunk-up"

on the sides. I think I will start to do like Pam G. said and load on off the

the end now and then - taking turns with each side. Good idea!

Sunbrella is a (all weather) type of canvas, made of 100% acrylic, it comes 54" wide and is scotchgard treated and yes, it is costly. I have used this fabric for years, I haven't had any trouble with it shrinking...so far that is! However, most canvas will shrink. I was thinking about useing it on my zipper leaders too, if you use sunbrella, let us how it works for you. I hope thisis ome help to you.:)

Jean

I have zippers on my leaders and the centers always line up because they are marked. About once a week, I zip my zippers to each other and tighten them up and straighten out the leaders. Each of the bottom zippers will zip to the top zipper (the one on the take-up roller).

Patty

Has anyone ever tried velcro instead of zippers? I was doing that as I am constantly sticking myself with pins. I did use zippers on the other machine, but I still had to pin. Then I used safety pins but they made it bumpy. So I sewed velcro hook side to the leaders and made strips with the loop side to attach to the quilt ends by chainstitching on an old serger. It held everything nice and straight and I could move the quilt easier. When I was done I just removed the chain stitch, kind of a waste of thread but it works for me. I may try the next quilt I do on the Millenium with Velcro on the leaders if I can stitch it on with the machine. I don't want to take the leaders off as I probably would not get them back on straight. If they start to stretch or shrink that would be a different story. I finished the cheater quilt and am now working on a radiant star from Fons and Porters November/December 2004 Love of Quilting. Only 16 more to go. Have 31 finished and ready for gifts and donations.

Sometime my leaders look terrible when I get finished with a quilt,,, so I have been take my ironing board and place it close to my quilting table,, and I keep mind ironed out smooth,,, this has worked real well,, and I spray startch mind if they are hard too iron out,,, try it you will see much improvement... :D

Archived