Trading Services

LME

Hi everyone,

A friend and I are thinking about trading skills. She would do some piecing for me and I would do some quilting for her. Any ideas on how to work it out fairly for both? I don't have time to piece the items I'd like for me and quilting is not her favorite thing. She'd rather piece and does so beautifully. Look forward to your ideas and advice.

LeAnn in windy WI

I use to do this for binding..... I would quilt a customers quilt....put my regular price to is so the price would be XYZ and she would do my binding on my personal quilts for her XYZ and we would just take it off the tally and keep going.

So it wasn't a I will quilt so many quilts for you and you much bind so many quilt for me...it had a dollar figure and we just added and subtracted as we went...and at the end of a year or if neither of us needed the other one for a 3 month period we would pay the bills off and pick up at a later date when we needed each other.

Sure, you can do this! Claudia Meyers and Marilyn Badger do this and they win national quilt shows all the time. Claudia designs and pieces most of the quilts and Marilyn quilts them. Then their masteripeces make the quilt show circuit and this is where they rake in the ribbons and award money. They are a very successful team. :)

I was chatting with Claudia at MQS this year and teasing her and I said "Hey Claudia, how about you and me doing a quilt together?" ;) and she said "Get in line." (I guess there is a long line with others ahead of me...) LOL!

Yah, I was kinda wondering if it would work out best somehow using hour for hour. Now about the ribbons.........one thing at a time.............first the fabric pile! My friend, thus far, has not pieced for hire so not sure if she'd be comfy with that. Thanks for any ideas!

LeAnn

I'm on the forum because I own an apqs George machine but I do not quilt for others and I sometimes make quilts that are larger than I want to quilt myself. A friend with a longarm business is so busy churning out quilts for others that she never has time to piece for herself so we have a 'trade agreement'. I have pieced a few quilts for her (with her fabric & pattern to her specifications) and I keep track of the hours. I'm a pretty fast piecer. Then she owes me the same number of hours in quilting...she has quilted several of my larger quilts and basted many of the quilts that I've quilted on George. I will say that it's getting difficult for me to use up all the hours I've accumulated doing the piecing. Nancy in Tucson

Originally posted by JuliaDay

i traded services once and got burned. I won't do it again

It does happen...not often, but it does. You have to work a deal that is good for both sides. Sorry you got burned, its not a nice place to be that's for sure...

Archived