Do I need to adjust my needle up/down speed?

I've noticed that when I first start quilting, my needle takes a long time to come back to neutral when I do the needle up/down button. I warm the machine up for about 15 minutes on slow speed.

After I've been actually quilting for awhile, this seems to go away, but it's aggravating, because the first thing I have to do is all the basting of the batting top and it's tedious to wait several seconds for every stitch.

Should I adjust my needle up/down speed? I don't want to make it too fast after the machine has warmed up.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Julia

Hi Julia.

I'm no expert here, but I find if my machine sits for more than a day or two in the colder weather (here in NJ), it takes a while to litterally warm up the oil and get moving smoothly again. I quilt up in our attic. I do turn the heat on about an hour before I head up there...and in the coldest part of the year we keep it at about 60 at night and about 68 when I'm working. I think the machine likes it to be close to 70 degrees. Our electric bill and economical hubby likes it cooler!!

I've had my Liberty for almost 3 years and have had no need to adjust the needle up/down speed.

Is it getting chillier in MD these days? Are you using enough oil?

Good luck!

Lisa

NW NJ

I use a space heater to get the room nice and warm before turning on the machine, then do a one up/down with the needle, then slow, then medium, then fast, then medium, then slow. If your needle up/down is at the right rate after sewing awhile, perhaps your warm up routine isn't warming up the machine enough -- try adding the medium and fast speeds. Maybe it will help. Good luck!

I can understand about needing the room and machine at a reasosnable temperature, but I didn't know about warming up the machine by stitching slow, medium, fast, then medium and slow. Should I be doing this? My Millie is in my sewing room which is kept at the same temp as the rest of the house, generally about 76 - 77 during the summer, and 72 in the winter.

Julia,

It has been getting cooler here and my machine has needed more time too! I wipe it down and oil the bobbin area and the wicks if they are dry, then turn it on about 8 SPI. I run it on manual till it stops struggling...you'll get to know the sound. Then I go up to 10 or 11 SPI on manual for 3 to 4 minutes...again, you'll learn the sound. It starts to purrrrr. Longer if colder.

Sometimes the SR needs some warm up also, so I just use a scrap of fabric and let it go for a while in circles and lines. Boring but helpful.

Almost time to turn on the heaters! Oh, I do not put it under the plexi table...seems risky to me.

Glad I could help!

Lisa

NW New Jersey

Carmen,

I'm in Duluth, Minnesota, where the cold gales of Lake Superior rule. We like it cold and turn the heat off at night. But my Millie prefers in tropical, so that's why I have an extra warming up routine. I think it is a good idea to warm the machine up to maximum efficiency before quilting; it is easier on the machine.:)

Look in the appendix under 'adjusting the needle positioner'. I think it's the #8 screw for the adjustment. I haven't had to do this, but I remember I printed out instructions from this topic a long time ago just in case.

If the problem goes away when the machine is warmed up, maybe you don't need to adjust. I think 15 minutes is a long time to warm up. I haven't ever let mine run more than about 5 minutes and it's raring to go. Even when the studio is still cold. Last winter I was quilting (in a jacket!) when the studio was only 52 degrees! It took forever to warm up when the snow was flying. My machine didn't seem to notice, however. Just me:D

Archived